Motion - How do you find the time in the air of an object

In summary: I wanted. Thanks for the help!In summary, the ball is in the air for a certain amount of time based on the initial speed and the slope of the hill.
mncyapntsi
Homework Statement
How do you find the time in the air of an object kicked horizontally from a slope of 42º, knowing the speed?
Relevant Equations
x = xo + vot + 1/2gt^2
Hi!
I am really stuck on the concept, wouldn't we not have enough variables?
I tried equation the equation for the y of the object to the slope of the hill, but I am missing several variables.
Any help is greatly appreciated :)
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
mncyapntsi said:
Homework Statement:: How do you find the time in the air of an object kicked horizontally from a slope of 42º, knowing the speed?
Relevant Equations:: x = xo + vot + 1/2gt^2

Hi!
I tried equation the equation for the y of the object to the slope of the hill, but I am missing several variables.
thanks!
The question is a little confusing for me. Do you mean that the ball is kicked on flat ground at an upward initial angle of 42 degrees, and you need to figure out how long it takes for it to land a distance away? Or the ball is kicked up a sloping ramp of 42 degrees somehow?

If it is the first case, then figure out what the vertical component of that velocity is, and just solve for the vertical motion part to figure out how long it takes to land.

Also, you used x in your equation where we traditionally use y for the vertical in 2-D motion of a projectile...

Likes mncyapntsi
The ground is at a 31º downward incline, but the ball is kicked at a 0º - purely horizontally. I hope that clears things up... What equation should I be using then...?

mncyapntsi said:
The ground is at a 31º downward incline, but the ball is kicked at a 0º - purely horizontally. I hope that clears things up... What equation should I be using then...?
It's two-dimensional motion, right? So, that means calculating the ##x## and ##y## components.

Have you drawn a sketch? That might give you some ideas.

mncyapntsi said:
The ground is at a 31º downward incline, but the ball is kicked at a 0º - purely horizontally. I hope that clears things up
Ah, that makes it a little harder, but still do-able.
mncyapntsi said:
What equation should I be using then...?
Using y for the vertical direction and x for the horizontal direction, and fixing the direction of g to be downward, you have the traditional two equations for projectile motion:
$$y(t) = y_0 + v_{y_0} t - \frac{1}{2}g t^2$$
$$x(t) = x_0 + v_{x_0} t$$
You have an equation for the slope of the downward incline (it is a straight line) and the equations for the x and y position as a function of time. Both lines start at your kick spot, and converge at some (x,y) point down the slope somewhere. You solve the equations simultaneously. Can you draw a sketch and start working with the equations?

mncyapntsi said:
Homework Statement:: How do you find the time in the air of an object kicked horizontally from a slope of 42º, knowing the speed?
Relevant Equations:: x = xo + vot + 1/2gt^2

Hi!
thanks!
So you really mean this:

The side of a hill is inclined at 42º (or perhaps 31º) to the horizontal.

A ball on the hill is kicked with an initial speed of v₀ so that the ball’s initial direction is horizontally outwards. The ball eventually hits the hill lower down. How long is the ball in the air?

The kicker falls due to attempting to kick a ball on such a steep hill, and later comes to rest, with only minor injuries, at the bottom.

• Haha
Likes vcsharp2003, mncyapntsi and berkeman
PeroK said:
It's two-dimensional motion, right? So, that means calculating the ##x## and ##y## components.

Have you drawn a sketch? That might give you some ideas.
Yes I drew a sketch and I have :
y(t) = yo+vo t-1/2 g t^2
y = -0.743145 x (with angle 42, sorry that was a typo)
x(t) = xo + vxo t
I really don't know where to go from here?

berkeman said:
Ah, that makes it a little harder, but still do-able.

Using y for the vertical direction and x for the horizontal direction, and fixing the direction of g to be downward, you have the traditional two equations for projectile motion:
$$y(t) = y_0 + v_{y_0} t - \frac{1}{2}g t^2$$
$$x(t) = x_0 + v_{x_0} t$$
You have an equation for the slope of the downward incline (it is a straight line) and the equations for the x and y position as a function of time. Both lines start at your kick spot, and converge at some (x,y) point down the slope somewhere. You solve the equations simultaneously. Can you draw a sketch and start working with the equations?
Right, so I found
I'm not too sure how to solve these simultaneously

mncyapntsi said:
Yes I drew a sketch and I have :
y(t) = yo+vo t-1/2 g t^2
x(t) = xo + vxo t
I really don't know where to go from here?
You know ##y_0##, ##v_{0_y}##, ##x_0## and ##v_{0_x}##, right?

That's the thing -- I don't know y0 and x0. Could I pose them as being 0 and 0 ?
voy = 0
vox = cos(42)vo
Correct?

mncyapntsi said:
That's the thing -- I don't know y0 and x0. Could I pose them as being 0 and 0 ?
Yes.
mncyapntsi said:
voy = 0
vox = cos(42)vo
##v_0## is horizontal, so there is no cos() term, just the horizontal velocity.

mncyapntsi said:
voy = 0
vox = cos(42)vo
Correct?
Your equation for the slope already assumes the top of the slope is the origin, right? In any case, you get to choose where you put the orgin. The top of the slope where the projectile starts seems simplest.

##v_{0_x}## relates to the projectile. It has nothing to do with the slope.

Likes mncyapntsi
Just to be sure, could you show us your sketch ?

hmmm27 said:
Just to be sure, could you show us your sketch ?
Sure, here it is :
Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 2.18.56 PM.png

PeroK said:
Your equation for the slope already assumes the top of the slope is the origin, right? In any case, you get to choose where you put the orgin. The top of the slope where the projectile starts seems simplest.

##v_{0_x}## relates to the projectile. It has nothing to do with the slope.
Okay that clears things up a bit. I tried putting the y equation for the slope equal to the y equation for the projectile, but got a negative t :
Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 2.33.37 PM.png

Where did I go wrong...?

What's the initial speed of the projectile?

PeroK said:
What's the initial speed of the projectile?
66kmh

mncyapntsi said:
66kmh
But, you've given an answer in seconds? What unit of time are you using - hours or seconds?

In terms of where you went wrong (apart from that), all I can see is a bunch of numbers. It's hard to see. The answer,obviously, can't be negative, so maybe you should sort that out as well. And see what you get next time.

Personally, I would use some algebra, as it makes things much clearer than a bunch of numbers.

Likes kuruman
mncyapntsi said:
Okay that clears things up a bit. I tried putting the y equation for the slope equal to the y equation for the projectile, but got a negative t :
View attachment 289526
Where did I go wrong...?
##\cos(42^o)=\dfrac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}~##, not what you have (##=\frac{x}{y}##).

Last edited:
PeroK said:
But, you've given an answer in seconds? What unit of time are you using - hours or seconds?

In terms of where you went wrong (apart from that), all I can see is a bunch of numbers. It's hard to see. The answer,obviously, can't be negative, so maybe you should sort that out as well. And see what you get next time.

Personally, I would use some algebra, as it makes things much clearer than a bunch of numbers.
OH! i am so dumb of course. I forgot to convert Haha! Thanks!

mncyapntsi said:
OH! i am so dumb of course. I forgot to convert Haha! Thanks!
If the conversion is the only correction you make, your answer will still be incorrect because the relation between ##x## and ##y## in your solution is incorrect as it stands.

1. How do you measure the time in the air of an object?

To find the time in the air of an object, you can use a stopwatch or a timer to measure the duration of its flight. Start the timer when the object is released or thrown and stop it when the object hits the ground.

2. What is the formula for calculating the time in the air of an object?

The formula for calculating the time in the air of an object is t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

3. Can the time in the air of an object be affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance can affect the time in the air of an object. Objects with larger surface areas or less aerodynamic shapes will experience more air resistance, which can slow them down and increase their time in the air.

4. How does the angle of release affect the time in the air of an object?

The angle of release can affect the time in the air of an object. When an object is released at an angle, it will follow a curved path and spend more time in the air compared to when it is released horizontally.

5. Is the time in the air of an object affected by the object's mass?

No, the time in the air of an object is not affected by its mass. The formula for calculating the time in the air does not include the mass of the object. However, the mass of an object can affect its trajectory and ultimately its time in the air if air resistance is a factor.