Paralell Plate Capacitors and Dielectric

In summary, two parallel plates with an area of 3118cm2 are connected to a battery of 6V with a distance of 0.35cm between them. A dielectric with a dielectric constant of 2.6 and an area of 3118cm2 is inserted between the plates, with a thickness of 0.175 cm. The resulting configuration behaves like two capacitors in series, with one without a dielectric and one with a dielectric. The equation 1/C(without) + 1/C(with) = 1/C can be used to find the charge on the top plate. The voltage when the battery is disconnected and the dielectric is removed can be found by considering the conservation of
kjlchem

Homework Statement

Two parallel plates, each having area A = 3118cm2 are connected to the terminals of a battery of voltage Vb = 6 V as shown. The plates are separated by a distance d = 0.35cm. You may assume (contrary to the drawing) that the separation between the plates is small compared to a linear dimension of the plate.

A dielectric having dielectric constant κ = 2.6 is now inserted in between the plates of the capacitor as shown. The dielectric has area A = 3118 cm2 and thickness equal to half of the separation (= 0.175 cm) . What is the charge on the top plate of this capacitor?

Homework Equations

C=Q/V

C(new) = KC(old)

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea.

I tried dividing the new capacitance by (because the dielectric is d/2 long) and calculating Q from that, but that didn't work.

Attachments

• d.png
    d.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,178
Physics news on Phys.org
kjlchem said:

Homework Statement

Two parallel plates, each having area A = 3118cm2 are connected to the terminals of a battery of voltage Vb = 6 V as shown. The plates are separated by a distance d = 0.35cm. You may assume (contrary to the drawing) that the separation between the plates is small compared to a linear dimension of the plate.

A dielectric having dielectric constant κ = 2.6 is now inserted in between the plates of the capacitor as shown. The dielectric has area A = 3118 cm2 and thickness equal to half of the separation (= 0.175 cm) . What is the charge on the top plate of this capacitor?

Homework Equations

C=Q/V

C(new) = KC(old)

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea.

I tried dividing the new capacitance by (because the dielectric is d/2 long) and calculating Q from that, but that didn't work.

The resulting configuration will behave like two capacitors in series: One without dielectric and one with dielectric.

Okay, that makes sense.

So, what I have so far now is

1/C(without) + 1/C(with) = 1/C

C(without)= εA/(d/2)

C(with)= εAK/(d/2)

Unfortunately, this does not give me the right answer. What am I doing wrong?

kjlchem said:
Okay, that makes sense.

So, what I have so far now is

1/C(without) + 1/C(with) = 1/C

C(without)= εA/(d/2)

C(with)= εAK/(d/2)

Unfortunately, this does not give me the right answer. What am I doing wrong?

Your equations look okay. Perhaps a calculation issue? What numerical values did you find?

Yep! Got it!

The next part asks for the voltage when the battery is disconnected and the dielectric is removed. Does this have to do with the difference in capacitance between when the dielectric is present and when it is not?

kjlchem said:
Yep! Got it!

The next part asks for the voltage when the battery is disconnected and the dielectric is removed. Does this have to do with the difference in capacitance between when the dielectric is present and when it is not?

Yes. What will be conserved?

Charge, apparently. Got it!

1. What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a device used to store electrical energy by creating an electric field between two parallel conductive plates. It consists of two plates separated by a dielectric material, such as air or a non-conductive solid.

2. How does a parallel plate capacitor work?

When a potential difference is applied across the plates, an electric field is created. This causes positive charges to accumulate on one plate and negative charges on the other, creating a potential difference between the plates. The amount of charge stored on the plates is directly proportional to the potential difference applied.

3. What is the role of a dielectric in a parallel plate capacitor?

A dielectric is a non-conductive material that is placed between the plates of a capacitor. It serves to increase the capacitance of the capacitor by reducing the electric field strength between the plates. This allows for a greater amount of charge to be stored on the plates.

4. How does the type of dielectric affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The type of dielectric used in a parallel plate capacitor can greatly affect its capacitance. Different dielectric materials have different permittivity values, which is a measure of how well the material can store electrical energy. A higher permittivity value leads to a higher capacitance, while a lower permittivity value leads to a lower capacitance.

5. Can the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor be changed?

Yes, the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor can be changed by altering the distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, or the type of dielectric used. Increasing the distance between the plates or decreasing the surface area will decrease the capacitance, while using a dielectric with a higher permittivity will increase the capacitance.