1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel and perpendicular part of a vector

1. Sep 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Resolve the force F into

a) a part perpendicular to AB and

b) a part parallel to BC

2. Relevant equations
    a dot b = ab*cos(θ)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attached my attempt in the .pdf file. For some reason it is wrong. I don't understand how my reasoning is incorrect.

The orange square in the picture is a supposed to be a wooden box in the problem, so that detail is not important to the problem.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First, you might want to check the angle given by arctan (3/5).

4. Sep 3, 2013 #3
    Thanks for pointing that out, but the answer still comes out to be wrong even if I change that. Am I setting up the problem wrong?

Do you do F*cos(θ) to find a parallel component of F and F*sin(θ) to find a perpendicular part of F in general?

5. Sep 3, 2013 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure that your initial diagram is correct? The given answers do not seem to match the diagram.

Yes.

6. Sep 3, 2013 #5
    Yes my diagram is correct. It's possible the solutions could be wrong, it's out of an old book... Anyways, I was wondering if my methodology was correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted