Parallel plate conductors question

In summary, using the equations for electric potential energy and projectile motion, we can calculate the final velocity of an electron fired from a negative plate towards a hole in a positive plate and passing between two parallel plates. The final velocity is determined to be 1.95 x 10^7 m/s, at an angle of 24.8 degrees below the horizontal.
newageanubis

Homework Statement

"An electron is fired from a negative plate towards a hole in a positive plate. It then passes between two parallel plates that are 3 cm long and 2 cm apart with a voltage of 550 volts across them. If the accelerating voltage across the two original plates is 900 volts what is the final velocity of the electron?"

Homework Equations

ε = ΔV/d
ε = Fe/q

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equations to calculate the constant force on the electron by each electric field (since electric fields between parallel plates are constant, so is the electric force on the electron). I then divided that by the mass of the electron to find the constant acceleration in the x and y directions. Using the kinematics equation s = (aΔt^2)/2, I calculated the time it would take to go from one plate to the other in both electric fields, and found that the time to travel between the second set of parallel plates is shorter. Taking this time as the total time of travel, I multiplied the previously found accelerations in the x and y direction by this time of travel to obtain the x and y components of the final velocity. I then used the Pythagorean theorem and the tangent ratio to get the magnitude and direction of the final velocity.

My answer: 2.0 x 10^7 m/s [45 degrees below the horizontal]
Correct answer: 1.95 x 10^7 m/s [24.8 degrees below the horizontal]

Physics news on Phys.org
The first 2 plates can be solved using the work energy theorem, where kinectic energy is equal to electric potential energy:

mv2/2 = qV

The last 2 plates is projectile motion, find the time it takes for the electron to travel 3 cm, then use the time solved into v = at. After that, add the velocities together.

What are parallel plate conductors?

Parallel plate conductors are two flat plates that are placed close to each other and are connected to an electrical power source. They are commonly used in experiments and demonstrations to study the properties of electric fields.

How do parallel plate conductors work?

When an electrical power source, such as a battery, is connected to the parallel plates, it creates an electric field between them. The electric field causes charges to accumulate on the plates, creating a potential difference. This potential difference can then be measured using a voltmeter.

What is the significance of the distance between parallel plate conductors?

The distance between parallel plate conductors affects the strength of the electric field between them. The closer the plates are, the stronger the electric field will be. This relationship is described by Coulomb's Law, which states that the electric force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How is the capacitance of parallel plate conductors calculated?

The capacitance of parallel plate conductors is calculated using the formula C = ε0A/d, where C is the capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates. This formula shows that capacitance is directly proportional to the area of the plates and inversely proportional to the distance between them.

What are some practical applications of parallel plate conductors?

Parallel plate conductors have various practical applications, such as in capacitors, which are used in electronic circuits to store and release electrical energy. They are also used in particle accelerators, where strong electric fields are needed to accelerate particles. Additionally, parallel plate conductors are used in electrostatic precipitators to remove pollutants from industrial exhaust gases.