Parallel plates with a mass m at an angle

In summary, the question asks for the potential difference between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor with an object of mass m and charge q suspended between them by a thread at an angle \theta. The solution involves finding the equilibrium forces on the object and using the equations for electric field and capacitance to determine the potential difference.
~christina~
Gold Member

Homework Statement

An object of mass m carries a charge q and is supsended by a thread between the vertical plates of a parallel plate capacitor. The plate separation is d. If the thread makes an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with th evertical, what is the potential difference between the plates?

Homework Equations

[tex]E = \frac{\sigma} {\epsilon_0}= \frac{Q} {\epsilon_0 A}[/tex]

[tex]C=Q/ \Delta V[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for a capacitor without the mass in between it it, the potential difference is:

[tex]E = \frac{\sigma} {\epsilon_0}= \frac{Q} {\epsilon_0A}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta V= Ed = \frac{Qd} {\epsilon_0 A}[/tex]

The thing is that I'm not sure what difference would the mass at an angle would make in the potential difference.

I do know that the mass at an angle has an electric force (if the mass is angled toward the right) force pulling it to the right at an angle, the gravitational force is pulling it down, and tension force in the string. And thus mass stays stationary in the field.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
~christina~ said:
I do know that the mass at an angle has an electric force (if the mass is angled toward the right) force pulling it to the right at an angle, the gravitational force is pulling it down, and tension force in the string. And thus mass stays stationary in the field.

So, you say you know the object is in equilibrium? Why don't you try drawing a diagram, labeling forces, and finding out what has to equal what.

Nabeshin said:
So, you say you know the object is in equilibrium? Why don't you try drawing a diagram, labeling forces, and finding out what has to equal what.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4862/84586505yl8.th.jpg

I drew it but I still don't know hwat the mass has to do with the potential difference.

can ANYONE help me out with this? Please?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are parallel plates with a mass m at an angle?

Parallel plates with a mass m at an angle refers to a system of two flat plates that are parallel to each other and have a mass of m attached to them at an angle.

2. How does the mass of the plates affect the system?

The mass of the plates affects the system by changing the force and torque on the plates, which in turn affects the equilibrium of the system.

3. What is the significance of the angle at which the mass is attached to the plates?

The angle at which the mass is attached to the plates determines the direction and magnitude of the force and torque acting on the plates. It also affects the stability of the system.

4. How can the equilibrium of the system be calculated?

The equilibrium of the system can be calculated using the principles of statics, which involves analyzing the forces and torques acting on the system and determining whether they are balanced or not.

5. What are the practical applications of studying parallel plates with a mass m at an angle?

Studying parallel plates with a mass m at an angle can help in understanding the behavior of structures and objects that have a similar configuration, such as cranes, bridges, and even the human body. It can also be applied in engineering and construction to ensure the stability and safety of structures.