Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parameter Scaling for Optimization

1. Oct 21, 2013 #1
    So I am still confused about how to applying scaling of parameters to a general optimization problem. Let's say I am trying to do maximum likelihood estimation. I understand how to find the scaling matrix (assuming we restrict it to diagonal form) and that the Hessian should be close to the identity matrix near the optimal parameter values. What I don't understand is that once you have your scaling matrix how do you directly use it in the optimization. In the case of MLE I feel that just scaling your parameters wouldn't yield the right results because your data that you are trying to fit would want to fit the actual parameters and not the scaled ones, unless the data itself was scaled, which I am not sure how to do in this formulation and such. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted