1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parameterization, Folium of Descartes, etc.

1. Sep 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the surface z = f[itex]\left(x y\right)[/itex] = xy. Given a point P = [itex]\left[a, b, ab\right][/itex] on this surface, show that the lines with direction vectors u = [itex]\left[1, 0, b\right][/itex] and v = [itex]\left[0, 1, a\right][/itex] through P are entirely contained in the surface.

2. The attempt at a solution

To be honest, I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do here or how to go about doing it, if someone could explain it and/or give me a starting point, that'd be very helpful.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the curve given by x3 + y3 = 3axy.

What happens as t[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]-1? Consider the limit as t[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]-1 of x(t) + y(t). What do you conclude?

The curve has obvious symmetry. Verify this using your parametrization.

2. Relevant equations

The parametrized equations are:

x = 3at / 1 + t3

y = 3at2 / 1 + t3

2. The attempt at a solution

For the limit, after adding and simplifying the equations, it equals -a. I believe the equation is asymptotic at t = -1, but I guess I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to conclude or what -a means.

For the symmetry part, it is symmetric about y = x, so that for every point (x, y) there is a point (y, x). How do I show this with the parametric equations?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2012 #2
    Sorry for the poor formatting. I don't know how to format column vectors or fractions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook