Folium of Descartes: Proving Asymptote

  • Thread starter Thread starter mahler1
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
mahler1
Messages
217
Reaction score
0
I am given the parametrized curve ##\alpha:(-1,\infty) \to \mathbb R^2## as ##\alpha(t)=(\dfrac{3at}{1+t^3},\dfrac{3at^2}{1+t^3})##.

I am asked to show that the line ##x+y+a=0## is an asymptote. So, I have to prove that when ##t \to \infty##, the curve tends to that line. My doubt is: The limit of ##\alpha(t)## when ##t \to \infty## is ##(0,0)##, how is it possible that the curve tends to the origin and at the same time to that line? How could I show that the line is in fact an asymptote of the curve?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
I am given the parametrized curve ##\alpha:(-1,\infty) \to \mathbb R^2## as ##\alpha(t)=(\dfrac{3at}{1+t^3},\dfrac{3at^2}{1+t^3})##.

I am asked to show that the line ##x+y+a=0## is an asymptote. So, I have to prove that when ##t \to \infty##, the curve tends to that line. My doubt is: The limit of ##\alpha(t)## when ##t \to \infty## is ##(0,0)##, how is it possible that the curve tends to the origin and at the same time to that line? How could I show that the line is in fact an asymptote of the curve?

Your x and y coordinates will get large when ##t \rightarrow -1##.