1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parameterizing and finding its boundaries (vector calculus)

1. Sep 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was studying for my finals, and then the only thing that I got stuck on was parameterizing a surface and finding the area of the surface.

and my problem states that x2 + y2 + z2 = 4
    and z [tex]\geq[/tex][tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

so when parameterizing a sphere, it comes out to be
    x = r sin[tex]\phi[/tex]cos[tex]\theta[/tex]
    y = r sin[tex]\phi[/tex]sin[tex]\theta[/tex]
    z = r cos[tex]\phi[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

so i'm sure that [tex]\theta[/tex] goes from 0 to 2[tex]\pi[/tex]. But i was getting confused what boundaries should be for [tex]\phi[/tex].

What i tried is that
    since z [tex]\geq[/tex][tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] and should be less than 2 since 2 is the radius, i put [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] z [tex]\leq[/tex] 2.
    which z = 2 cos[tex]\phi[/tex]
    so when i solved it, it came out to be [tex]\pi[/tex]/4 [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\phi[/tex] [tex] leq[/tex] 0.

but it just doesn't make sense to me how the boundary can go backwards. can someone explain to me~??
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2008 #2
    oops, last one, i meant to say

phi is greater than or equal to pi/4
    phi is less than or equal to 0
  4. Sep 6, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

When you have [tex]\cos \phi > \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} [/tex], you should note that the graph of cos x decreases continuously from 1 to 0 in the interval 0 to pi/2. Which is why you have to reverse the inequality when taking the arc cos the interval for phi.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?