Parametric curve iteration

In summary, the conversation discusses using calculus to find the closest parameter value for when a parametric curve intersects with a line. The individual is looking for a method similar to Newton's method that can find the minimum distance between the curve and the line. They suggest rethinking the program to properly use Newton's method, as it is a useful tool for finding zeroes.
dgm
I haven't taken calculus yet, but I'd like to determine the closest parameter value for when a parametric curve crosses a line (for a program I'm writing). The curve is such that I need to use calculus in some way or another - it is unsolvable algebraically.

Newton iteration will find a point very close to where the parametric curve makes an intersection, but it won't give me a parameter value... is there a similar method that I can use in my case?

Any help is appreciated. :)

Peace & love...

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like this should be a simple case of Newton's method. You have a function (the curve) p : R -> R^3. Then, you have the distance to a line, which is a function d:R^3->R. Their composition is d.p : R->R, where (d.p)(t) is interpreted as the distance between the line and the curve at the given parameter. You want to find a minimum of d.p, and since (d.p)(t) >= 0 for all t, you know that all zeroes are minimums. Newton's method finds zeroes, so it is the right tool. It seems like you just need to rethink your program to figure out the correct way of using it.

1. What is parametric curve iteration?

Parametric curve iteration is a mathematical process of generating a sequence of points on a parametric curve by repeatedly applying a specific function or transformation to the previous point.

2. How is parametric curve iteration used in science?

Parametric curve iteration is commonly used in fields such as computer graphics, physics, and engineering to model and analyze complex curves and surfaces.

3. What are the advantages of using parametric curve iteration?

Some advantages of using parametric curve iteration include its ability to generate smooth and continuous curves, its flexibility in creating various shapes and patterns, and its efficiency in computation.

4. What are some common functions used in parametric curve iteration?

Some common functions used in parametric curve iteration include linear transformations, trigonometric functions, and polynomial functions.

5. How can one determine the accuracy of a parametric curve iteration process?

The accuracy of a parametric curve iteration process can be determined by comparing the generated points to the actual points on the curve, using error analysis methods, and adjusting the parameters or functions used in the iteration process.