1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric Curves: Tangent Lines

1. Jan 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find equations of the tangents to the curve x=3t^2+1, y=2t^3+1 that pass through the point (4,3).

3. The attempt at a solution

I was able to find the equation y=x-1 as a tangent line through the point (4,3) for the part of the curve above the x-axis since (4,3) is on the curve.

However, I do not know how to find the equation of the tangent for the part of the curve below the x-axis since I do not know what point on the curve the tangent passes through and therefore do not know the t value.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write down the equation for the tangent line to the curve at general value of t. Now put in the condition (4,3) is on the line. You should get a couple of cubic equations. You already know t=1 is a solution. Is there another?

4. Jan 31, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, you get a cubic equation. Knowing that t= 1 is a solution makes it easy to solve. Dick's suggestion is right on the money.

5. Jan 31, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Duh, right. Make that 'one' cubic.

6. Jan 31, 2007 #5
    thanks a lot for the help, i was able to find the second equation, thanks

7. Mar 7, 2009 #6
    So what *is* that second equation? I'm stuck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?