1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric equations of line in 3D space

1. Jan 1, 2010 #1
    Hello, sorry for my Englich:D
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I must count a line integral on the lenght which lies on the line which is defined by equations:
    [tex]\begin{cases}x^2+y^2+z^2=R^2\\ \left(x-\frac{R}{2}\right)^2+y^2=\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2\end{cases}[/tex]
    it is a column which is cutting a sphere
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to assumption that [tex]x=t[/tex] and then depending on this find other functions [tex]y(t),z(t)[/tex], but the equations are not easy. I think I can find something with trigonometric functions sinus cosinus, but I am not sure; my question is then how I can easy and quickly find parametric equations of line which is make by two planes (in this case sphere and column) cutting each another? thanks for help!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hello player1_1_1! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

It's much better to have a single-valued parameter, which x isn't.

So try using the angle (from the axis of the cylinder) as the parameter. :smile:

(btw, we say "sine" and "cosine", and we usually say "curve" for a line that isn't straight … even though we say "line integral" for any curve! :rolleyes: :wink:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook