Parametric path of great circle on sphere

In summary, The question is about finding parametric expressions for phi and theta in terms of time to create a constant angular speed rotation around an axis through the poles in a purely spherical coordinate system. The person has tried to first find an equation for the path, but is not familiar with spherical coordinates. They are looking for a solution that allows for rotation about an axis other than the common diameter of latitude lines.
zyxstand
hello, I've posted this question on a math forum, but they weren't much help - this really is more appropriate in physics ;)

i'm working on a computer program and I'm using a library that generates a 2D graphics of a circle given a theta and phi. if i want to make the ball rotate around its normal axis, i would call the library's rendering function and pass the same theta every time, but with phi being slightly different. this, of course, is only the case for for rotation around an axis through the poles.

my question
given a starting phi and theta and a velocity phi and theta, what are the parametric expressions for phi and theta in terms of time.

things to keep in mind
1. I'm working purely with spherical coordinates (no cartesian) and i would prefer a solution that solved in such a coordinate system.
2. it needs to be time dependent in such a way that dl/dt is constant (ie: constant angular speed)

what I've tried
i figured i would first need an equation of the path and then parameterize it later. unfortunately i don't know spherical that well :/

any help will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to clarify what you are trying to do. Are you wanting to do a pure rotation about some given axis? What I am picturing is a sphere with, for example, several latitude lines painted on it, like a wireframe. Then are you wanting to see what it would look like if rotated about some axis other than the common diameter of the latitude lines? Are you only interested in the images of great circles? Are you just looking for a parameterization of an arbitrary great circle in terms of the spherical angles phi and theta? Please explain in a bit more detail what you want.

What is a parametric path of a great circle on a sphere?

A parametric path of a great circle on a sphere is a mathematical representation of the path that a point follows when traveling along a great circle on a sphere. This path is defined by two parameters, typically represented by the latitude and longitude coordinates of the point.

How is the parametric path of a great circle on a sphere calculated?

The parametric path of a great circle on a sphere is calculated using spherical trigonometry and the Haversine formula. This formula takes into account the radius of the sphere and the angular distance between two points on the sphere to determine the coordinates of the path.

What is the significance of the parametric path of a great circle on a sphere?

The parametric path of a great circle on a sphere is significant in the field of navigation and geodesy. It is used to calculate the shortest distance between two points on a spherical surface and is also used in satellite and aircraft navigation systems.

Can the parametric path of a great circle on a sphere be applied to other shapes besides a sphere?

No, the parametric path of a great circle is specific to a sphere and cannot be applied to other shapes. This is because the geometry and equations used to calculate the path are specific to a spherical surface.

How is the parametric path of a great circle on a sphere used in real-world applications?

The parametric path of a great circle on a sphere has numerous real-world applications, including air and sea navigation, satellite communication, and mapping. It is also used in geodesy to accurately measure and map the Earth's surface.