1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric Representation of a Plane

1. Sep 30, 2007 #1

Alw

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Give a parametric representation of the plane x + y + z = 5.

2. Relevant equations

I am really not sure, I've been over the chapters we've covered for a little over an hour now, and the only mention i can find of a parametric representation of a plane is in passing once, merely stating that such a thing exists. All examples and explanations relate to

0 = a(x-x1) + b(x-x1) + c(z-z1)

where <a, b, c> is a vector normal to the plane, and (x1,y1,z1) is a point on the plane.

3. The attempt at a solution

well, I am going to assume that 0 = a(x-x1) + b(x-x1) + c(z-z1) is the standard form for planes, so I started by putting x + y + z = 5 in that form.

x + y + z = 5
    x + y + z -5 = 0

i picked an arbitrary point on the plane, (2,2,1)

a(x-2) + b(y-2) + c(z-1) = 0, and therefore the coefficents must all be 1, giving me

(x-2) + (y-2) + (z-1) = 0, along with <1,1,1> being a vector normal to this plane.

i am really not sure where to go after this...
    i know how to find the parametric representation of the intersection of two planes, but of the plane itself. . .

I am sorry i don't have much work to show for this, but I really have no idea where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equation you came up with is really the same on you started with, and it's not 'parametric'. Take your point P0=(2,2,1) on the plane and find two more points on the plane P1 and P2 such that P0,P1 and P2 don't all lie on the same line. Then you can write a parametric representation of the plane as P0+s*(P1-P0)+t*(P2-P0). Do you see why this lies on the plane for any s and t, and do you see why any point on the plane can be written in this form?

4. Sep 30, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A plane is two dimensional. "Parametric equation" for a two-dimensional figure must be of the form x= f(u,v), y= g(u,v), z= h(u,v).

Since you are told that " the plane x + y + z = 5", and so z= 5- x-y, there is nothing at all wrong with taking x and y themselves as parameters.

5. Sep 30, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good point. Much simpler.

6. Sep 30, 2007 #5

Alw

ok, i understand how you can use those 3 points to define the plane since they arent in the same line, and i think i understand why s and t can be any value. Regardless of what value they have, they are are just a coefficient on the (position vector?) kind of like how with the equation y = x, (1,1) is on that line, along with a*(1,1), where a is any number. Any point on the plane can be used becuase, any point on the plane is still in the plane :P.

i'm not sure i fully understand. are you saying that i can use x and y as parameters for z, x and z as parameters for y, y and z for parameters for x? how would i continue on with the problem, or can i answer it by saying

z = 5 - x - y
    x = 5 - y - z
    y = 5 - x - z

? I dont think I fully understand what you are saying

Thank you very much for the help :)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  7. Sep 30, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm glad you get the vectorial way of thinking about it. Hall's is thinking about it algebraically. x(s,t)=s, y(s,t)=t, then z(s,t)=5-s-t is on the plane. It's the same as the other approach if P0=(0,0,5), P1=(1,0,4) and P2=(0,1,4).

8. Sep 30, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, I meant:
    x= u
    y= v
    z= 5- u- v.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?