Parity and total angular momentum

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating parity and total angular momentum of even/even nuclei, specifically when Z and N are magic numbers. The individual seeking information also mentioned difficulty with inserting LaTeX formulas. The response clarified that for even/even nuclei, all pairs cancel each other, resulting in a ground state of 0+. There was also a question about why orbital angular momentum is 0 in this scenario.
gdonoso94
Hi,

I'd like to know how to calculate parity and total angular momentum of nuclei which have even Z and even N and also Z and N are magic numbers, such as 8O8 or 20Ca20 (the number before the element is Z and the after one is N).

I don't know how to insert LaTeX formulas.

Thank you in andvance

Physics news on Phys.org
For even/even nuclei, all pairs cancel each other, so you always have 0+ in the ground state.

Likes gdonoso94
Thanks for your reply. I knew that, but I don't understand why orbital angular momentum is 0, because you have nucleons, for example in p-shell... I don't know if I have explained me...

1. What is parity in physics?

Parity is a fundamental symmetry in physics that refers to the behavior of a physical system when it is reflected in a mirror. It is a property that is conserved in many physical processes, meaning that it remains the same before and after the process takes place.

2. How is parity related to total angular momentum?

In quantum mechanics, parity and total angular momentum are closely related. The parity of a particle is determined by its spin, which is a type of total angular momentum. The spin can have a value of either +1 or -1, and particles with opposite spin have opposite parity.

3. Can parity and total angular momentum change in a physical system?

In certain physical processes, such as interactions between particles, parity and total angular momentum can change. However, in isolated systems where no external forces are acting, these properties must be conserved.

4. What is the significance of parity and total angular momentum in atomic and molecular physics?

Parity and total angular momentum play a crucial role in determining the energy levels and behavior of atoms and molecules. These properties affect the way that electrons move around the nucleus and how they interact with each other, ultimately determining the chemical and physical properties of the atom or molecule.

5. How is the concept of parity used in experimental physics?

In experimental physics, measuring the parity of a physical system can provide valuable information about its properties and behavior. By observing how particles behave in different orientations and under different conditions, scientists can infer the parity and total angular momentum of the system and use this information to make predictions and test theories.