1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parity in the \eta to two photon decay

1. Feb 4, 2006 #1
    Greetings, I'm curious about parity conservation in the decay[tex]\eta \rightarrow \gamma \gamma[/tex]. The [tex]\eta[/tex] has odd parity, while the product of the two photon parities (each is odd) is even. Now, parity is conserved in the EM interactions, so there must be a factor of (-1) coming in from orbital angular momentum factors--but the two photon final state has no orbital angular momentum. What am I missing here?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2006 #2

I mean : in order for the two-photon state to have J = 0 (conservation of J we must write it as a superposition of two states A and B. Each state has the two photons with anti-parallel spins and in state A the photonspin is aligned with the photon-momentum, in B photon spin is opposite wrt photon momentum. You can derive these states by using the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.

A photon has indeed parity -1 but since we are working with a superposition of TWO photonstates, the parity is relative. If you had just a single two-photon state then parity would be -1 * -1 but because of the superposition, it is the parity from state A with respect to state B that determins the actual parity of the entire wavefunction...

More to be found here
  4. Feb 8, 2006 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In \eta-->2\gamma, there is orbital angular momentum l=1, which gives the factor (-1)^l. The angular momentum addition for the photon spins must be S=1+1=1, and then l+S=1+1=0.
    The eta decay is the same as the pi^0 decay. The parity of the pi^0, and of the eta^0, were determined by the relative plane polarizations of the two photons, which can be found from the spin addition 1+1=1.
    This was first done by Yang.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?