Parsing the Fibers of Critical Values

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of fibers of critical values in the context of a given map. It was mentioned that the critical values are the points where the Jacobian matrix is not invertible, and in the case of the map mentioned, the only critical value is (0,0). The conversation also touched on the level sets of the map and how they can help us understand the fibers. It was noted that the regular fibers are isomorphic to each other, but the critical fiber may have a different structure. Suggestions were given on how to further understand the general fibers, such as looking at the tangent spaces and the behavior of the map near the critical fiber.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, All:

I am trying to better understand what happens at fibers of critical values:

Specifically, I had the fibers of the map:

f(z1,z2): ℂ2→ℂ , given by:

f(Z1, Z2)= Z12+z22 =0

I rewrote it as a map from ℝ4→ℝ2=

f(x1,y1,x2,x2)=

(x12-y12+x22-

y22 , x1y1+2x2y2)Which has the Jacobian:
(Sorry, I don't know how to Tex a matrix ):

[ 2x1, 2y1, 2x2, 2y2 ]

[ 2y1, 2x1, 2y2, 2x2

Now, by one of the family of theorems in { inverse function, implicit function, regular rank theorem} , the fibers of the non-zero values are submanifolds of ℂ2.

After row-reducing, we get that the only critical value is (0,0) .

Now, some work on f{-1}(0,0):

i)Not very helpful: Z12+Z22=0

implies Z1=iZ2.

ii) A little better:

Restricting to (x1,x2, 0, 0):

Then the general fiber is a circle, and the collection of all fibers is a cone .

Is there anything else we can do to get a better understanding of what the general

fibers are like ? I think all the regular fibers are isomorphic to each other--tho I cannot

find a good proof -- and then we have the critical fiber.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. The fibers of critical values are an important concept in understanding the behavior of a map. In the case of your map, f(z1,z2), the critical values are the points where the Jacobian matrix is not invertible, which in this case is when both z1 and z2 are equal to 0.

To get a better understanding of the fibers, we can look at the level sets of the map. These are the sets of points where the function takes on a particular value. In the case of f(z1,z2)=0, the level set is a circle, as you mentioned. However, if we consider a different level set, say f(z1,z2)=1, we get a different shape, specifically an ellipse. This is because the level sets of a map are determined by the inverse image of the values, and in this case, the inverse image of 1 is an ellipse.

In general, the regular fibers of a map are isomorphic to each other, meaning they have the same structure. This is because the map is smooth and the fibers are submanifolds of the domain. However, the critical fiber may have a different structure, as it is the only fiber that intersects the critical value of (0,0).

To better understand the general fibers, we can also look at the tangent spaces at each point on the fiber. This can give us information about the local behavior of the map and how it varies along the fiber. Additionally, we can consider the behavior of the map near the critical fiber, which may help us understand the overall behavior of the map.

I hope this helps in your understanding of the fibers of critical values. Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can provide further clarification. Thank you.

FAQ: Parsing the Fibers of Critical Values

1. What is the significance of "Parsing the Fibers of Critical Values" in scientific research?

"Parsing the Fibers of Critical Values" refers to the process of analyzing and interpreting the data of critical values, which are measurements or observations that indicate a significant change or effect. This is an important step in scientific research as it allows for a better understanding of the underlying mechanisms and relationships between variables.

2. How does one go about parsing the fibers of critical values?

The process of parsing the fibers of critical values involves carefully examining the data and identifying patterns or trends. This can be done through statistical analysis, visualization techniques, and other methods of data interpretation. It is important to approach this process with a critical and analytical mindset in order to accurately interpret the data.

3. What are the potential limitations of parsing the fibers of critical values?

One potential limitation is the quality and reliability of the data itself. If the data is incomplete or biased, it can lead to inaccurate interpretations of critical values. Additionally, the complexity of the data and the presence of confounding variables can also make it challenging to accurately parse the fibers of critical values.

4. How can the results of parsing the fibers of critical values be applied in real-world situations?

The insights gained from parsing the fibers of critical values can be applied in a variety of fields, such as medicine, environmental science, and social sciences. For example, in medicine, parsing critical values can help identify risk factors for diseases and inform treatment plans. In environmental science, it can aid in understanding the impact of certain factors on ecosystems. In social sciences, it can provide insights into human behavior and decision-making.

5. Are there any ethical considerations when parsing the fibers of critical values?

Yes, there are ethical considerations to keep in mind when parsing the fibers of critical values. It is important to ensure that the data is obtained and used ethically, and that the results are communicated accurately and transparently. Additionally, researchers must consider the potential implications of their findings and how they may impact individuals or communities.