1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivative of a complex number

1. Dec 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given n=(x + iy)/2½L and n*=(x - iy)/2½L
    Show that ∂/∂n = L(∂/∂x - i ∂/∂y)/2½ and ∂/∂n = L(∂/∂x + i ∂/∂y)/2½
    2. Relevant equations
    n Ξ ∂/∂n, ∂x Ξ ∂/∂x, as well as y.

3. The attempt at a solution
    n=(∂x + i ∂y)/2½L
    Apply complex conjugate on right side, ∂n=[(∂x + i ∂y)/2½L] * [(∂x - i ∂y)/(∂x - i ∂y)].
    ∂n=( (∂x)2 + (∂y)2) / 2½ L (∂x - i ∂y)
    I'm stuck, I think if (∂x)2 + (∂y)2=1 I can think of a way. But ugh... Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2015 #2
    Hey shinobi,

Note that [itex]\partial_n[/itex] is not the derivative of [itex]n[/itex], but rather the derivative in the direction of [itex]n[/itex]. So suppose I have some function [itex]f(n)[/itex] then note that since [itex]n=n(x,y)[/itex] taking the derivative with respect to [itex]n[/itex] should respect the chain rule and so
    [itex]\partial_nf(n)=\partial_n(x)\partial_xf(n(x,y))+\partial_n(y)\partial_yf(n(x,y))[/itex]
    So [itex]\partial_n=\partial_n(x)\partial_x+\partial_n(y)\partial_y[/itex] now the problem comes down to calculating these coefficients. This you can do by inverting the derivate of [itex]n[/itex] with respect to [itex]x[/itex] and similarly for [itex]y[/itex].

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted