Partial derivative of a complex number

In summary, the problem is to show that ∂/∂n = L(∂/∂x - i ∂/∂y)/2½ and ∂/∂n = L(∂/∂x + i ∂/∂y)/2½ by using the chain rule for derivatives and inverting the derivative of n with respect to x and y.
shinobi20

Homework Statement

Given n=(x + iy)/2½L and n*=(x - iy)/2½L
Show that ∂/∂n = L(∂/∂x - i ∂/∂y)/2½ and ∂/∂n = L(∂/∂x + i ∂/∂y)/2½

Homework Equations

n Ξ ∂/∂n, ∂x Ξ ∂/∂x, as well as y.

The Attempt at a Solution

n=(∂x + i ∂y)/2½L
Apply complex conjugate on right side, ∂n=[(∂x + i ∂y)/2½L] * [(∂x - i ∂y)/(∂x - i ∂y)].
∂n=( (∂x)2 + (∂y)2) / 2½ L (∂x - i ∂y)
I'm stuck, I think if (∂x)2 + (∂y)2=1 I can think of a way. But ugh... Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey shinobi,

Note that [itex]\partial_n[/itex] is not the derivative of [itex]n[/itex], but rather the derivative in the direction of [itex]n[/itex]. So suppose I have some function [itex]f(n)[/itex] then note that since [itex]n=n(x,y)[/itex] taking the derivative with respect to [itex]n[/itex] should respect the chain rule and so
[itex]\partial_nf(n)=\partial_n(x)\partial_xf(n(x,y))+\partial_n(y)\partial_yf(n(x,y))[/itex]
So [itex]\partial_n=\partial_n(x)\partial_x+\partial_n(y)\partial_y[/itex] now the problem comes down to calculating these coefficients. This you can do by inverting the derivate of [itex]n[/itex] with respect to [itex]x[/itex] and similarly for [itex]y[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is a partial derivative of a complex number?

A partial derivative of a complex number refers to the derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative of a complex number calculated?

The partial derivative of a complex number is calculated by taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the variable approaches zero.

3. What is the importance of calculating partial derivatives of complex numbers?

Calculating partial derivatives of complex numbers is important in understanding the rate of change of a function with respect to a particular variable, and how it affects the overall function.

4. Can a complex number have multiple partial derivatives?

Yes, a complex number can have multiple partial derivatives, as a function can have multiple variables and therefore multiple rates of change.

5. How can partial derivatives of complex numbers be applied in real-world scenarios?

Partial derivatives of complex numbers have various applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. They can be used to analyze the behavior of multi-variable systems and optimize functions for maximum efficiency.