Partial Derivative of Function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the gradient of a function using partial derivatives. The individual is having trouble understanding why the (x^2 + y^2) term remains in the solution and is seeking clarification on how to treat the y term as a constant. The summary also includes the explanation for retaining the y term and using the chain rule to find the partial derivative.
triden

Homework Statement

I am doing some gradient questions and having a little trouble understanding the partial derivatives to obtain the gradient. Most particularly in this question:

f(x,y) = [tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex][tex](x^{2}+y^{2})^{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

So to find the gradient we take the partial derivative with respect to x and then y.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is

[tex]\nu[/tex](x,y) = [tex]\frac{4}{3}x[/tex][tex](x^{2}+y^{2})[/tex]

but my brain says it should be

[tex]\nu[/tex](x,y) = [tex]\frac{4}{3}x[/tex]

why does the (x^2 + y^2) term still stick around? When I do the partial derivative of the x term, do I not treat the Y term as constant? If so, shouldt it disappear?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
treat the y as a constant when you differntiate only. You must still retain the y, in general the partial derivative w.r.t. x is still a function of both x & y

using chain rule below
[tex]
f_x
= \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(x^{2}+y^{2})^{2}
= 2(x^{2}+y^{2})\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(x^{2}+y^{2})
= 2(x^{2}+y^{2})2x
[/tex]

Last edited:
Ah yes, I got it. It was just a stupid logic error in my head. Thanks for the help!

What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is a fundamental tool in multivariable calculus and is used to analyze how a function changes in different directions.

How is a partial derivative calculated?

A partial derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables and treating all other variables as constants. This can be done by applying the standard rules of differentiation, such as the power rule or the chain rule, to the function.

What is the significance of a partial derivative?

A partial derivative provides information about the behavior of a function in a specific direction. It can be used to find the slope of a function at a given point, determine critical points and extrema, and optimize functions in fields such as economics and physics.

How is a partial derivative represented?

A partial derivative is typically denoted by the symbol ∂ (the partial derivative symbol) followed by the variable with respect to which the derivative is taken. For example, ∂f/∂x represents the partial derivative of the function f with respect to the variable x.

What is the difference between a partial derivative and a regular derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function in a specific direction, while a regular derivative measures the overall rate of change of a function. In other words, a partial derivative takes into account the influence of other variables on the function, while a regular derivative does not.