1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivative using differentials

1. Aug 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If [itex] xs^2 + yt^2 = 1 [/itex] and [itex] x^2s + y^2t = xy - 4 [/itex], find [itex] \frac{\partial x}{\partial s}, \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}, \frac{\partial y}{\partial s}, \frac{\partial y}{\partial t} [/itex], at (x, y, s, t) = (1, -3, 2, -1)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I took the differential of both equations and substituted in the values and I got:

[tex] 4ds + 4dx + 6dt + dy = 0 [/tex] and
    [tex] ds + 7dx + 9dt + 5dy = 0 [/tex]

but now I don't know how do find the individual partial derivatives that are being asked for. For example, for [itex] \frac{\partial x}{\partial s} [/itex], I assumed t and y are constant and made dt and dy = 0 and tried to solve for ds and dx but that doesn't work.

Any ideas on how to proceed in finding these partials?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2014 #2
    ##s## and ##t## don't happen to be independent, so that ## \frac{\partial s}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial t}{\partial s} = 0##? That would make things much easier.

4. Aug 1, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In order that this problem make any sense, s and t have to be independent so Quesadilla's comment is crucial. You should NOT assume y is constant since it is one of the dependent variables. But, taking the derivatives with respect to s you should assume t is constant (I would have said "treat t as a constant").

So from [itex]4ds+ 4dx+ 6dt+ dy= 0[/itex] and [itex]ds+ 7dx+ 9dt+ 5dy= 0[/itex] you can get
    [tex]4\frac{\partial s}{\partial s}+ 4\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+ 6\frac{\partial t}{\partial s}+ \frac{\partial y}{\partial s}= 4+ 4\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+ \frac{\partial y}{\partial s}= 0[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial s}+ 7\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+ 9\frac{\partial t}{\partial s}+ 5\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}= 1+ 7\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+ 5\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}= 0[/tex]
    Giving you two equations to solve for [itex]\partial x/\partial s[/itex] and [itex]\partial y/\partial[/itex].

Do the same thing to find the derivatives with respect to t.

Personally, I wouldn't have use "differentials". Just differentiating [itex]xs^2+ yt^2= 1[/itex] with respect to s (and treating t as a constant) gives
    [tex]s^2\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+ 2xs+ t^2\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}= 0[/tex]
    and differentiating [itex]x^2s+ y^2t= xy- 4[/itex] with respect to s gives
    [tex]2sx\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+ x^2+ 2ty\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}= x\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}+ y\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}[/tex]
    again giving two equations to solve for [itex]\partial x/\partial s[/itex] and [itex]\partial y/\partial s[/itex].

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  5. Aug 1, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you claim are s and t not independent? If we arbitrarily specify values of s and t we can then use the equations to find x and y. In fact, I would say we can take s and t as independent, but with x and y being functions of them: x = x(s,t) and y = y(s,t).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  6. Aug 1, 2014 #5
    If you mean that we should look to apply the implicit function theorem that sounds like an excellent idea!

7. Aug 1, 2014 #6
    Great, thanks everyone!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted