Partial Derivatives for Functions f(z) of a Complex Variable.

In summary, according to Anthony's argument, analytic functions of a complex variable are true functions of the complex variable, but there is no functional dependence between z and x or z and y when z is a function of two real variables.
Bacle
Hi, Everyone:

I was never clear n this point: given that z is a single complex variable,
how/why does it make sense to talk about z having partial derivatives.?

I mean, if we are given, say, f(x,y); R<sup>2</sup> -->R<sup>n</sup>
then it makes sense to talk about f<sub>x</sub> and f<sub>y</sub>, since
x and y are different variables. But , in f(z), z is a single variable, so there are no
additional variables to refer to, to meaningfully talk about partial derivatives.

Is it the case that a function of a complex variable z is also a function of two complex
variables.?. If not, is there a formal/theoretical argument to support this use.?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If we were to use the natural identification [tex]\mathbf{R}^2 \simeq \mathbf{C}[/tex], then you can write a complex valued function on [tex]\mathbf{R}^2[/tex] via:

[tex]f(x,y) = f\left( \frac{z+\bar z}{2}, \frac{z-\bar z}{2\mathrm{i}}\right) \equiv F(z,\bar z)[/tex]

The notion of complex differentiability is determined by the Cauchy-Riemann equations: [tex] \partial F/\partial \bar z =0[/tex].

Anthony's argument supports the idea that analytic functions are true functions of a complex variable as opposed to simply complex functions of two real variables.

As to your very first question, I'm not sure what the problem is. We can write a complex function of a complex variable as f(x + iy) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y), where u and v are real functions. Partial derivatives then work exactly as they do in real analysis...

But you do say that f(z) is a function of two real variables, through:

f(z)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y) .?

Only then does it make sense to take partials f_x and f_y.

But if f is a function of z as well as a function of x,y, is there
some functional dependence between z and x and z and y.?

My point is that if an analytic function depends only on a single
complex variable, then the argument z has only 1 "part" , so that
a partial derivative would not make sense, just like the partial
derivative of a function of a single real variable would not make sense.
(unlike a function f(x,y) , whose argument has two "parts" )

I thought that, re what Anthony said, that we may be using implicitly,
the diffeomorphism between C and R^2 : x+iy -->(x,y) .

But this last (maybe combined with my lack of sleep )seems confusing,
since there are functions f: R^2-->R that are differentiable , while those
same functions f are not differentiable as functions from C-->R (specifically,
all differentiable functions that don't satisfy Cauchy-Riemann ) ; I thought
that if manifolds M,N were diffeomorphic, that meant that every function f:M-->R
is differentiable iff f:N-->R is also differentiable.

Hope I am not too far of.

1. What are partial derivatives for functions of a complex variable?

Partial derivatives for functions of a complex variable are used to measure how much a function changes in one direction while holding all other variables constant. These derivatives are calculated by taking the limit of the function as the change in the variable approaches zero.

2. How are partial derivatives of a complex variable different from those of a real variable?

Partial derivatives of a complex variable are different from those of a real variable because they involve calculating the limit of a function in the complex plane, rather than just along a single axis. This means that the derivative can vary depending on the direction in which the limit is taken.

3. What is the Cauchy-Riemann equation and how is it related to partial derivatives?

The Cauchy-Riemann equation is a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for a complex function to be differentiable. It states that the partial derivatives of the function with respect to the real and imaginary parts of the complex variable must satisfy a specific relationship. This relationship is derived from the limit definition of the derivative and is crucial in determining the differentiability of a complex function.

4. How are partial derivatives used in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, partial derivatives are used to evaluate the behavior of complex functions. They can help determine if a function is differentiable, and if so, the direction of its derivative. Partial derivatives are also used to calculate important properties of complex functions, such as their maximum and minimum values and critical points.

5. What are some applications of partial derivatives for functions of a complex variable?

Partial derivatives for functions of a complex variable are used in many areas of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are particularly useful in analyzing and solving problems involving fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and optimization. They also play a key role in the development of complex analysis and its applications in other fields.