1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivatives of function log(x^2+y^2)

1. Jun 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have got a question concerning the following function:

[tex]f(x,y)=\log\left(x^2+y^2\right)[/tex]​

Partial derivatives are:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x^2}=\frac{y^2-x^2}{\left(x^2+y^2\right)^2}[/tex]​

and

[tex]\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial y^2}=\frac{x^2-y^2}{\left(x^2+y^2\right)^2}[/tex]​

The conclusion is that the following equation is right:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x^2}=-\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial y^2}[/tex]​

But I can not understand, how can it be possible. The role of x and y variables are exactly the same, then why derivatives are not the same?

Sorry for my English - it is my second language. I am from Poland.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2012 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

There's a factor of 2 missing in all your second derivatives.

The result is exactly as you'd expect. The variable you're differentiating with respect to, matters. If it's x, then y is treated as a constant, and vice versa. So if the "active" variable is leading in the numerator in one derivative, the same should apply in the other. It's just that the "active" variable is x in one case and y in the other, and the other variable acts like a constant.

4. Jun 21, 2012 #3
    How did you get those partial derivatives? They are wrong.

P.S. There's nothing wrong with your English, and even if there were, there is nothing to apologise for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook