Partial derivatives Q involving homogeneity of degree n

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
kostoglotov
Messages
231
Reaction score
6

Homework Statement



Show that if f is homogeneous of degree n, then

[tex]x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + y\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = nf(x,y)[/tex]

Hint: use the Chain Rule to diff. f(tx,ty) wrt t.

2. The attempt at a solution

I know that if f is homogeneous of degree n then [tex]t^nf(x,y) = f(tx,ty)[/tex]

But I'm really at a conceptual loss here.

I've tried the hint, I let f(tx, ty) = f(a,b) so a = tx and b = ty then

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial a}\frac{\partial a}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial b}\frac{\partial b}{\partial t} \\<br /> \frac{\partial f}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial a}x + \frac{\partial f}{\partial b}y[/tex]

And I have tried looking at

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}t^nf(x,y) = nt^{n-1}f(x,y)[/tex]

But beyond this I just cannot see what I need to do.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a good start. I'll call the first equation in your attempt (1) and the last one (2).
Now in (2) you are taking the derivative (with respect to t) of the left hand of (1). Do the same thing with the right hand and see where that leads you.