Partial derivatives/ total derivative

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've attactched an image of the question, I hope this is ok, if not let me know and I'll copy it out onto a post,

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've done parts (a) and (b) using the total derivative of f ( http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TotalDerivative.html ) but I can't get started on the last part. I've tried differentiating the expressions found in (a) but it doesn't seem to lead anywhere.

A push in the right direction would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,547
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have the definitions. All I can say is "just do it"! You are asked to show that
    [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= u\frac{\partial F}{\partial u}+ v\frac{\partial F}{\partial v}[/tex]
    u= excos(y), v= exsin(y) and F(u,v)= f(x,y).

You will need to use the chain rule:
    [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial F}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]

4. Thanks for the reply: I've done parts (a) and (b) already, it's the third part I'm struggling with (I can't quite see how your post relates to this bit). I won't post my solutions for these bits unless thay would be helpful, since they are show that... questions.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  5. Just to clarify since my use of 'last part' wasn't particularly precise, it's part (c) I'm struggling with.
    Thank you

6. Solved it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?