1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivatives using definition

1. Apr 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We are given a table where showing the points x and y and values of a function f(x,y).
    The function itself is not given.
    I have to find the partial derivatives f'x, f'y, f''xx, f''yy and f''xy around the point (2,3).

2. Relevant equations
    I have to use the definition :
    f'x(2,3) = lim (h-->0) [f(2+h,3) - f(2,3)] / h

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok. So I easily found f'x and f'y. (h is found by looking at the xs and ys, h for f'x = -1 and 2 for f'y).
    My problem is finding the f''. My teacher is the kind that shows one definition and gives one example. I don't know how to find the f''s.

If someone could just point the way, I'd be grateful.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2
    The definition of the second partials is just the partial derivatives of the first partials. Why couldn't you just use the same method as before?
  4. Apr 8, 2008 #3
    Well I know. It's easy to find the partial derivatives when we have the function. That I can find.
    But as I said, we have just done one example with the "definition", so I quite don't see how.

It's like d[df/dx]/dx
    When you derivate the function you just assume y as constant.
    But when it comes to lim f(a+h,b)-f(a,b)/h, I just don't know how to express it.

f'x = 0 and f'y = 2
    f''xx(2,3) = f'x [f(2+h, 3) - f(2,3) /h]
    = f(2+2h, 3) - f(2,3)/h ?

I don't know really.
    And then again, I'm quite stupid :D
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?