1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Differential EQs for Engineers

1. Jan 7, 2012 #1
    Hello all! :smile: I have searched this, but I am still looking for additional input. I am an engineer and I want to self-study PDEs. I looked at Farlow's text and though it is nice from an applications standpoint, I think that it is not 'mathy' enough for me. Don't get me wrong, I am not the best math student by any stretch; all of my background has been in 'engineering maths' not 'math major maths'. But again, I think Farlow is too applications oriented for me, I like a "little rigor."

Any thoughts on an intro PDE text that has a 'little bit' of rigor yet is still accessible to the Engineer?

Thanks! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2012 #2
    How about Pinchover and Rubinstein? From what I have seen, it is a fairly rigorous book and a good introduction, but it is not a thorough treatment. If you read the Amazon reviews of the book, you'll get some other suggestions as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook