1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rigorous Differential Equations text

1. Jun 7, 2015 #1
    Hello, I am a math major and I was wondering if you guys knew what would be a good rigorous differential equations text. I really like rigor (like Rudin analysis style rigor or whatnot), instead of the typical books that just focus on the method. I want the proofs and everything. I also would like theoretical questions if possible too, and applied as well (I guess it would be hard to find a differential equations text without applications haha). Could anyone tell me if there are any such books? If not, could you at least tell me what your favorite is? I hear Differential Equations with historical notes by Simmons is a good one. Thanks in advance for any response. Sorry if this question is worded weirdly. I'm on mobile in public and can't focus well.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What do you know of differential equations already?

4. Jun 7, 2015 #3
    I already had an introductory course in Ordinary Differential Equations, though it was kind of a crash course, so I would kind of like to review it, with a more rigorous flavor of course.

5. Jun 7, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, you probably can't do better than Ross's differential equations: https://www.amazon.com/Differential-Equations-Shepley-L-Ross/dp/0471032948 This is one of my favorite books out there. Be sure to get the 800 page version, since it contains more theoretical stuff.

Now, the book is very good, and contains quite a lot of theory, with of course the existence and uniqueness theorems. But it isn't really comparable to Rudin in terms of sophistication. But I feel that one should understand the material in this book before getting to a more advanced work, since that advanced work will likely take a lot of things for granted that are in such "introductory books".

For a more rigorous and advanced book, I recommend Teschl: https://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~gerald/ftp/book-ode/ which is freely available on his website, but you can buy it too: https://www.amazon.com/Ordinary-Differential-Equations-Dynamical-Mathematics/dp/0821883283 This book will not care about solving differential equations though.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Jun 8, 2015 #5
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  7. Jun 8, 2015 #6
    You can start with Coddington ( introduction), I am familiar with this one. Then you can try his differential equation book(have not looked at it yet, my understanding is not there yet).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted