1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Differential Equation in Special Relativity

1. Feb 25, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (a) Light waves satisfy the wave equation ##u_{tt}-c^2u_{xx}## where ##c## is the speed of light.
    Consider change of coordinates $$x'=x-Vt$$ $$t'=t$$
    where V is a constant. Use the chain rule to show that ##u_x=u_{x'}## and ##u_{tt}=-Vu_{x'}+u_{t'}##
    Find ##u_{xx},u_{tt},## and hence ##u_{tt}-c^2u_{xx}##, in terms of derivatives with respect to ##x'## and ##t'##.
    Deduce that if ##u## satisfies the wave equation in ##x,t## coordinates, then it does not satisfy the same equation in the ##x',t'## coordinates.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    So I've worked out that $$u_{xx}=u_{x'x'}$$ and $$u_{tt}=u_{t't'}+v^2(u_{x'x'})-2v(u_{x'xt})$$ so technically ##u_{tt}-c^2u_{xx}## expressed in terms of derivatives with respect to ##x'## and ##t'## would just be $$u_{t't'}+v^2(u_{x'x'})-2v(u_{x'xt})-c^2(u_{x'x'})=0$$ right?
    But how do I do the bit where question says "Deduce that if ##u## satisfies the wave equation in ##x,t## coordinates, then it does not satisfy the same equation in the ##x',t'## coordinates." I don't know where to start with this?Would this be done conceptually or mathematically?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Start with the wave equation.

4. Feb 25, 2017 #3
    Can you give a little bit more hints than that please? Thanks

5. Feb 25, 2017 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Feb 27, 2017 #5
    I give up. Can you guide me through this. Please. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  7. Feb 27, 2017 #6
    Is it simply due to the fact that ##u_{xx}-c^2u_{tt} \neq u_{x'x'}-c^2u_{t't'} ##, so that if ##u## satisfies the wave equation in ##x##,##t## coordinates, then it does not satisfy the same equation in the ##x'##,##t'## coordinates? Or do I deduce it mathematically?

8. Feb 27, 2017 #7

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you calculate ##u_{xx}-c^2u_{tt}## and ##u_{x'x'}-c^2u_{t't'}## and it turns out that the two expressions are not equal, then you have "deduced it mathematically."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted