Partial fraction decomposition with cos() in the numerator

In summary, partial fraction decomposition with cos() in the numerator is a mathematical technique used for breaking down a rational function with a cosine term in the numerator into simpler fractions. It differs from regular partial fraction decomposition because it involves using trigonometric identities to rewrite the function. The steps for performing this technique include rewriting the function, solving for coefficients, and integrating each fraction. It is commonly used in calculus, differential equations, and signal processing, but has limitations such as requiring a single cosine term and not being applicable to all types of functions.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

See below

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am looking at a particular integral, and to get started, my text gives the indication that one should use partial fraction decomposition with ##\displaystyle \frac{\cos (ax)}{b^2 - x^2}##. Specifically, it says "then make a partial fraction expansion." However, I only learned the technique of partial fraction decomposition in the context of polynomials. I am not sure exactly what it is asking me to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
It just means to expand the ##\frac{1}{b^2-x^2}## part. The resulting factors will still be multiplied by the cosine.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is partial fraction decomposition with cos() in the numerator?

Partial fraction decomposition with cos() in the numerator is a mathematical technique used to break down a rational function with a cosine term in the numerator into simpler fractions. It allows for easier integration and simplification of the original function.

2. How is partial fraction decomposition with cos() in the numerator different from regular partial fraction decomposition?

In regular partial fraction decomposition, the numerator is typically a polynomial or a linear function. However, with cos() in the numerator, the process involves using trigonometric identities to rewrite the function into a sum of simpler fractions.

3. What are the steps for performing partial fraction decomposition with cos() in the numerator?

The first step is to rewrite the original function as a sum of simpler fractions using trigonometric identities. Then, solve for the coefficients of each fraction by equating the numerators and denominators of the original function and the rewritten function. Finally, integrate each individual fraction to get the final result.

4. What are some common applications of partial fraction decomposition with cos() in the numerator?

This technique is commonly used in calculus to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions. It is also useful in solving differential equations and in signal processing to analyze and filter signals with cosine components.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial fraction decomposition with cos() in the numerator?

One limitation is that the function must have a single cosine term in the numerator. If there are multiple cosine terms or other trigonometric functions, the process becomes more complex and may not be feasible. Additionally, this technique may not work for certain types of functions, such as non-rational functions or functions with irrational terms.