Partial fraction (tricky stuff for LaPlace transforms)

In summary, the conversation discussed using the normal method to solve for Y(s) in a Laplace transform equation and the validity of this method. It was found that the method was valid, but the value of B was questioned. The answer was eventually determined to be \frac{1}{s+1} - \frac{s+1}{(s+1)^{2}+1} through finding the discriminant of the quadratic trinomial and using partial fraction expansion.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

Doing some Laplace transform stuffs and I've got [tex]Y(s) = \frac{1}{(s+1)(s^{2}+2s+2)}[/tex]

Using the normal method

[tex]1 = A((s+1)^{2}+1) + B(s+1)[/tex]

I'm not sure this method is valid though as we had a complicated term (s+1)² + 1 after A. I can find A to be 1, but I don't trust my value of B being -1.

Apparently the answer is [tex]\frac{1}{s+1} - \frac{s+1}{(s+1)^{2}+1}[/tex]

Not sure how to get there though

Thanks
Thomas

Physics news on Phys.org
The discrimant of the quadratic trinomial is:

[tex]
\Delta = 1^{2} - 1 \cdot 2 = 1 - 2 = -1 < 0
[/tex]

so it does not have real zeros. That is why the partial fraction expansion is of the form:

[tex]
\frac{1}{(s + 1)(s^{2} + 2 s + 2)} = \frac{A}{s + 1} + \frac{B s + C}{s^{2} + 2 s + 2}
[/tex]

Multiply both sides by [itex](s + 1)(s^{2} + 2 s + 2)[/itex], collect terms with like powers of s on the right hand side and compare the corresponding coefficients so that you will get three equations for the three unknowns A, B and C. Also, complete the square for the trinomial:

[tex]
s^{2} + 2 s + 2
[/tex]

You should get the answer you were looking for.

1. What is the purpose of using partial fractions in LaPlace transforms?

The purpose of using partial fractions in LaPlace transforms is to simplify complex rational expressions into a sum of simpler fractions. This makes it easier to apply LaPlace transforms and solve differential equations.

2. How do you decompose a rational expression into partial fractions?

To decompose a rational expression into partial fractions, you first factor the denominator into linear or irreducible quadratic factors. Then, you set up a system of equations to solve for the unknown coefficients in each partial fraction. Finally, you combine the partial fractions to get the simplified expression.

3. Can you use partial fractions for all rational functions?

No, partial fractions can only be used for proper rational functions, where the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator. Improper rational functions can be rewritten as a polynomial plus a proper rational function in order to use partial fractions.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using partial fractions for LaPlace transforms?

One common mistake is forgetting to include all the possible partial fractions when setting up the system of equations. Another mistake is not accounting for repeated factors in the denominator, which may require multiple partial fractions with different coefficients.

5. Can partial fractions be used for inverse LaPlace transforms?

Yes, partial fractions can be used for inverse LaPlace transforms by first applying the LaPlace transform to the partial fractions and then using the inverse LaPlace transform on each individual term. This allows for the original expression to be recovered.