Partial Fractions but in Complex Analysis

In summary, the conversation was about using partial fractions to rewrite a given expression, specifically (2z)/(z^2+3). The student provided an attempt at a solution but was unable to fully understand the example given in the book. The expert summarized the conversation by explaining the process of using partial fractions and solving for the coefficients, and pointed out a mistake in the student's approach. The conversation ended with the student thanking the expert for clarifying and helping them solve the problem.
Fellowroot

Homework Statement

Use partial fractions to rewrite:

(2z)/(z^2+3)

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this:

(2z)/(z^2+3) = (Az+B)/(z^2+3)

2z = Az +B

A = 2, B = 0...problem is that it just recreates the original

Here is their example in the book:

1/(z^2+1) = 1/(2i(z-i)) - 1/(2i(z+i))

I don't understand how they came to their conclusion in their example.

Any help understanding their example or my question is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
factor 1/(z^2+1) as 1/(z+i)(z-i)
then 1/(z^2+1)= A/(z+i)+ B/(z-i)
now solve for A and B... what do you get .
and then you can do the same trick on your problem

Fellowroot said:

Homework Statement

Use partial fractions to rewrite:

(2z)/(z^2+3)

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this:

(2z)/(z^2+3) = (Az+B)/(z^2+3)

2z = Az +B

A = 2, B = 0...problem is that it just recreates the original
Of course it does. You wrote it in exactly the same form. Why would you expect anything else?

Here is their example in the book:

1/(z^2+1) = 1/(2i(z-i)) - 1/(2i(z+i))

I don't understand how they came to their conclusion in their example.

Any help understanding their example or my question is appreciated.
You titled this "Partical fractions but in Complex Analyis"- so use complex numbers:
[itex]z^2+ 3= (z+ i\sqrt{3})(z- i\sqrt{3})[/itex].

Your partial fractions should be
[tex]\frac{2z}{z^2+ 3}= \frac{A}{z+ i\sqrt{3}}+ \frac{B}{z- i\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

Thanks guys, oh my gosh

I actually did their example and set it up all correctly

I got to the end with A+B=0, A-B=0 and without solving it, it just looked like a contradiction and I didnt realize that B=-1.

thanks for pointing that out for me, i was like 99% there and got stuck. i hate that

1. What is the purpose of using partial fractions in complex analysis?

Partial fractions in complex analysis are used to simplify and solve complex rational functions. This technique helps break down a complex function into simpler parts, making it easier to integrate, differentiate, and evaluate.

2. How do you decompose a rational function into partial fractions in complex analysis?

To decompose a rational function into partial fractions in complex analysis, we first factor the denominator into linear or irreducible quadratic terms. Then, we express the original function as a sum of simpler fractions with the same denominators as the factors.

3. What are the different types of partial fractions in complex analysis?

The two main types of partial fractions in complex analysis are proper partial fractions, where the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator, and improper partial fractions, where the degree of the numerator is equal to or greater than the degree of the denominator.

4. Can partial fractions be used in all complex functions?

No, partial fractions can only be used in rational functions, where the numerator and denominator are both polynomials. It cannot be applied to functions with trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic terms.

5. What is the significance of partial fractions in the study of complex analysis?

Partial fractions play a crucial role in the study of complex analysis as they allow us to solve complex integrals and simplify complex functions. They also help us understand the behavior of functions near their poles and zeros, which are essential concepts in complex analysis.