Partial Pressure at equilibrium

In summary, at equilibrium, the pressure of PbI2(s) will be inversely proportional to the dissociation fraction.
Sonny101

Homework Statement

H2(g) + S(s) = H2S(g) Kc= 6.8x10^-2 If 0.2 moles of H2 and 1.0 mole of S are heated in a 1L vessel upto 90C, what will be the partial pressure of H2S at equilibrium? Can someone help me with this step by step?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Kc = 6.8X10^-2 = x / (0.2-x)
x = 0.013 mol/L

PV = n RT
P (1L) = 0.013 mol (0.0821 Latm/molK) (273+90)
P = 0.38 atm

ALthought the answer is 0.44 :/

Homework Statement

Lead iodide, PbI2, is a sparingly soluble solute in water. At 25C it is found that at equilibrium,
PbI2(s) = Pb2+(aq) + 2 I-(aq)
the solubility of PbI2 in water is 1.2×10-3 M.
One liter of solution containing 12.00g NaI with solid PbI2 present at the bottom of the
solution is prepared at 25C. The NaI completely dissolves and fully dissociates,
according to the chemical equation,
NaI(s) = Na+(aq) + I-(aq)

Calculate the concentration of Pb2+
(aq) in this solution containing NaI

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start with this one :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Sonny101 said:
P = 0.38 atm

Could be I am missing something - but it looks OK to me.

I have no idea where to start with this one :/

Do you know what ICE table is?

Here is the original question. As for the ICE table, I am not too good with it, can only perform the basic generic operations. Would be helpful if you could show me and I will learn from it.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.2 KB · Views: 519
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    17.1 KB · Views: 538
Sonny101 said:
Here is the original question.

I still get 0.38.

As for the ICE table, I am not too good with it, can only perform the basic generic operations. Would be helpful if you could show me and I will learn from it.

That's not how the forum works. Try, show what you've got.

Hi I have attached the method I tried to solve these questions, along with additional question. I am not sure what I did wrong, but the quadratic equations i get give out two completely possible values of the variable. The question and the my tries are labelled respectively. Thanks

Attachments

• Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 517
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 493
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 569
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 471
Sonny101 said:
the solubility of PbI2 in water is 1.2×10-3 M.

Your ICE table is correct, but solubility is not Ksp.

so what do you suppose i do? 2x + 0.08 = 1.2x10^-3 would yield a negative value? And what about the other two?

You are supposed to calculate Ksp from the solubility.

So how do I make the equation after the table?

You did the ICE table correctly, your mistake was to plug solubility into the equation, instead of a correct Ksp value.

Oh right right you mean

Ksp= (1.2x10^-3)(2.4x10^-3)^2

and then equate this to the final solubilities. Thanks.

And what is my mistake with questions 4 and 5?

4th problem: why do you think both answers are correct?

i dont, i just followed the standard procedure and got 2 positive values (ususally in this type of cases i get 1 -ve and +ve so i can discard the -ve value), which can't be right, but cannot figure out my mistake :/

What is x? Hint: it is not the final concentration.

yeah i know, it would be (2 + 2x), but like I said which value of x should I use, seeing that both are possible. Anyways I don't get the right answer by using either value :/

Sonny101 said:
which value of x should I use, seeing that both are possible

Calculate final concentrations of ALL species involved.

Doesn't the question only asks for the final concentration of HF only? Plus that's what I tried doing, but got confused by the value of 'x'.

PS: This is not my homework, but I am preparing for the finals, so this is the past paper with only the answers, so showing me the correct way would only help me.

Sonny101 said:
Doesn't the question only asks for the final concentration of HF only?

Yes, that's what the question asks, but let's ignore that for a moment. Please try to calculate concentrations of all species involved (and I am not going to answer your further posts if you ignore the request).

In ICE table last line contains equilibrium concentrations, all you have to do is to plug calculated x into formulas you derived by yourself.

OK, so using the value of x to be 1.53

H2 = F2= 0.47
2HF= 5.06

if X= 2.69

H2=F2= -0.69
2HF = 7.38

Oh so THATS what you meant. Sorry my bad :P yeah one of the values get -ve so that will be discarded, and the other will be the correct value. Thanks.

And what do you think about Q5?

Sonny101 said:
And what do you think about Q5?

Nice question.

Increase in pressure means some of the I2 dissociated, try to find the dependence between pressure and dissociation fraction.

What is partial pressure at equilibrium?

Partial pressure at equilibrium is the pressure exerted by an individual gas in a mixture of gases at equilibrium. It is a measure of the concentration of that gas in the mixture.

How is partial pressure calculated?

Partial pressure can be calculated by multiplying the total pressure of the gas mixture by the mole fraction of the gas in the mixture. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the ideal gas law: P = nRT/V, where P is the partial pressure, n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and V is the volume.

How does partial pressure affect equilibrium?

In a closed system at equilibrium, the partial pressures of the individual gases will remain constant. If the partial pressure of one gas increases or decreases, the equilibrium will shift to compensate for this change and maintain the overall equilibrium.

What factors can affect partial pressure at equilibrium?

Temperature, volume, and the number of moles of gas present can all affect the partial pressure at equilibrium. Changes in these factors can cause shifts in the equilibrium and alter the partial pressures of the individual gases.

How is partial pressure related to Dalton's law of partial pressures?

Dalton's law states that the total pressure of a gas mixture is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of the individual gases in the mixture. This means that the partial pressures at equilibrium can be used to calculate the total pressure of the gas mixture.