Particle acceleration for Hyper drives?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the idea of using particle accelerators as hyperdrives, with the original poster mentioning their vague understanding of the concept and their previous research on related topics. The conversation also touched on the lack of progress in this area and the importance of sticking to one topic at a time.
GreenAce92
I vaguely read about this idea about using particle accelerators as hyperdrives

Does anyone know any more information about this subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not an acceptable way to start a discussion. "vaguely read" is not a good reference source.

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=2703

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, this is partially related to my other thread involving my misunderstanding of the helmholtz coil and its effects

I had all of these tabs open on wikipedia at the time while researching about the possibility of creating a "mass flow ionizer" type thruster based on Earth's atmosphere which so far I was told would not work.

Anyway, through reading I was linked to "Particle Beam Weapon" and I had to look deeper to find where it was that I read the statements comparing impulses of a larger and a smaller ball (impulse transfer) as an analogy of what happens when the "high kinetic particles" are applying a force on the accelerating device therefore supposedly driving the craft... (very vague as I said)

Hall Effect
Hall Effect thruster
Helmholtz Coil
Specific Impulse
Magnetic Field
Electronegativity
Pound Force
Xenon Gas
My Charge to Mass ratio lab
Lorentz Force
Thrust
Particle beam weapon

Ha! I found it. I didn't even realize it was written on the same website (published) that is what is advertised on these forums

http://phys.org/news174293159.html

That was from 2009. I haven't heard anything being done on such things. In fact, the only citation to that arXiv manuscript was another preprint by the author himself.

So to answer your original question, this has gone nowhere so far.

Zz.

P.S. Stick to one topic at a time. I don't need to know what you were doing when you came up with this question.

Alright well thanks

1. How does particle acceleration contribute to the functioning of a Hyper drive?

Particle acceleration is a key component of a Hyper drive, as it is responsible for propelling the spacecraft at high speeds. By accelerating particles to near-light speeds and directing them in a specific direction, the Hyper drive is able to create a warp bubble and move the spacecraft through space-time.

2. What types of particles are commonly used for particle acceleration in Hyper drives?

The most commonly used particles for particle acceleration in Hyper drives are protons, electrons, and positrons. These particles have high energy levels and are relatively easy to accelerate to near-light speeds.

3. Is particle acceleration safe for human passengers on a spacecraft?

With proper shielding and containment measures, particle acceleration is generally considered safe for human passengers on a spacecraft. However, there may be some potential health risks associated with exposure to high levels of radiation, so precautions should be taken.

4. Can particle acceleration be controlled and adjusted for different speeds in a Hyper drive?

Yes, particle acceleration can be controlled and adjusted to achieve different speeds in a Hyper drive. By changing the energy level and direction of the accelerated particles, the spacecraft can travel at varying speeds and even come to a complete stop.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to using particle acceleration for Hyper drives?

One of the main limitations of using particle acceleration for Hyper drives is the amount of energy required. The more particles that need to be accelerated, the more energy is needed, which can be a challenge for long-distance space travel. Additionally, the acceleration process can also cause wear and tear on the spacecraft, requiring maintenance and repairs.