Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle acceleration for Hyper drives?

1. Jan 26, 2013 #1
    I vaguely read about this idea about using particle accelerators as hyperdrives

Does anyone know any more information about this subject?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2013 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is not an acceptable way to start a discussion. "vaguely read" is not a good reference source.

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=2703 [Broken]

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jan 26, 2013 #3
    Alright, this is partially related to my other thread involving my misunderstanding of the helmholtz coil and its effects

I had all of these tabs open on wikipedia at the time while researching about the possibility of creating a "mass flow ionizer" type thruster based on Earth's atmosphere which so far I was told would not work.

Anyway, through reading I was linked to "Particle Beam Weapon" and I had to look deeper to find where it was that I read the statements comparing impulses of a larger and a smaller ball (impulse transfer) as an analogy of what happens when the "high kinetic particles" are applying a force on the accelerating device therefore supposedly driving the craft... (very vague as I said)

Hall Effect
    Hall Effect thruster
    Helmholtz Coil
    Specific Impulse
    Magnetic Field
    Electronegativity
    Pound Force
    Xenon Gas
    My Charge to Mass ratio lab
    Lorentz Force
    Thrust
    Particle beam weapon

Ha! I found it. I didn't even realize it was written on the same website (published) that is what is advertised on these forums

http://phys.org/news174293159.html

5. Jan 26, 2013 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That was from 2009. I haven't heard anything being done on such things. In fact, the only citation to that arXiv manuscript was another preprint by the author himself.

So to answer your original question, this has gone nowhere so far.

Zz.

P.S. Stick to one topic at a time. I don't need to know what you were doing when you came up with this question.

6. Jan 26, 2013 #5
    Alright well thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook