Particle Accelerators: How do I calculate the amount of particles per bunch?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
martinhiggs
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




The circumference of the collider is 26.66 km, and there are 4 equally spaced points where the beams collide.

A collision takes place every 22microseconds at each one of the collision points, with 4 bunches in each beam.

The average current per beam is 3mA.

I have to work out how many particles per bunch this corresponds to?


I've looked everywhere for a relevant equation and can't find anything! Any ideas please?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
do you know what the charge of the particles is? you're given a current...
 
Yes, sorry, they are electrons and positrons colliding.
 
ok, so if you know the charge of a particle & the overall current, you should be able to calculate the rate of particles passing a point... (from the definition of current)