How frequently a collision takes place in a collider

In summary, the problem involves determining the number of collisions that occur at four equally spaced points when a beam with a circumference of 27km and particles accelerated to 45GeV collide. However, more information is needed, such as the current density and speed of the particles, to solve the problem.
martinhiggs

Homework Statement

If its circumference is 27km, and there are 4 equally spaced points where the beams collide, show a collision takes place every 22 microseconds at each one of the collision points

Homework Equations

I don't know where to start, which equation should I use?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

From my point of view, your problem is lacking quite a few information. From the information you are giving, it sounds very much like the CERN's LHC.

To figure out how many collisions take place, you need to know at least the current density of the beam, and the speed of the particles.

Cheers

That's what I thought, but that is all the information that I have been given to solve it...

ah, it says they are accelerated up to 45GeV...

1. How does a collider cause collisions?

A collider is a particle accelerator that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate particles to high speeds. These particles are then directed into a collision course with each other, resulting in collisions.

2. How frequently do collisions occur in a collider?

The frequency of collisions in a collider depends on the energy and intensity of the particle beams. Generally, collisions can occur at a rate of millions to billions per second.

3. How are collisions detected in a collider?

Detectors are placed around the collider to capture the particles produced by the collisions. These detectors use various methods such as tracking the paths of particles, measuring their energy and momentum, and detecting the radiation emitted from the collisions.

4. How do scientists analyze the data from collider collisions?

The data from collider collisions is analyzed using sophisticated computer algorithms and statistical methods. Scientists look for patterns and anomalies in the data to understand the behavior of particles and the laws of physics.

5. Can we control the frequency of collisions in a collider?

Yes, the frequency of collisions can be controlled by adjusting the intensity and energy of the particle beams. Scientists can also manipulate the particles' paths and collisions by changing the magnetic fields within the collider.