Particle/astro phycisist please answer if you live in uk

• Thread starter universe lord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uk
In summary, to become an astro/particle physicist, you should choose triple science for your GCSEs and aim for A* in Maths and Physics. Consider taking Further Maths if offered at your school and aim for AAB at A level with Physics and Maths as mandatory subjects. Other subjects such as Chemistry and a language may also be useful for university applications. Avoid BTECs and other non-GCSE qualifications. Additionally, getting involved in mathematics competitions and taking additional tests like STEP can strengthen your application.
universe lord
right guys I am 13 years old,live in uk and I am in year 9, my maths level is 7b and science is 7b so what do i need to get in a gcse's and a level's to be on my way to becoming an astro/particle phycisist? oh and please tell me what subjects to choose in gcse's (i am going to pick triple science).

Physics news on Phys.org
universe lord said:
right guys I am 13 years old,live in uk and I am in year 9, my maths level is 7b and science is 7b so what do i need to get in a gcse's and a level's to be on my way to becoming an astro/particle phycisist? oh and please tell me what subjects to choose in gcse's (i am going to pick triple science).

Triple science, maths (compulsory), ask your school about the further maths GCSE, if they hold it at your school you'll get taught some a level mathematics early (C1 and some of C2, as well as some others which i can't remember), this isn't needed but it helps for a level. Take whatever GCSE you want from there on, but try to stick to academic subjects (avoid BTEC if possible unless perhaps in engineering, avoid ICT also) and get A* for your mathematics and the further maths (looks really good when applying for a levels, though doesn't matter much after that).

For a levels pick up maths, further maths and physics and a subject of your choice (perhaps chemistry?) , if your really keen you can take additional further maths, but it's not required at any university. Further maths itself is also not needed at most places but for oxbridge/imperial etc it is compulsory, if offered and it helps a lot (I only done further maths AS and I'm at a great university reading maths). Now at a levels try to get involved in the mathematics senior challenge (there is one at GCSE also, so may want to look into that), but then again this is NOT needed and will only strengthen your application. You can also take tests such as STEP I, II, III and these are not needed for straight physics programs at top institutes (oxbridge), but once again, it helps.

I wouldn't stress too much right now as you're in year 9, but that's what you should do to get into top institutes.

Last edited:
Exactly what AskaQuestion said.

To get into a good uni for Physics you need to get a minimum of AAB at A level including Physics and Maths. Further maths A level or Chemistry would be useful but not essential.

There are usually no big GCSE requirements, but your 6th form will likely ask for at least B's in each subject you take to A level. You really want to be aiming for an A* in Maths and Physics as a comfortable minimum. In my Further Maths class this year, the vast majority had A* at GCSE. You want as many A/A*s as possible, because they'll never look bad!

Concerning GCSE choices, once you've got the triple science, you probably need to choose some more options. It's good to have a language (and in fact required for some courses which incorporate study abroad). Pretty much everything else is optional, so just do a balance of what you enjoy and what you can get high marks in! View BTECs and other things that aren't GCSEs with suspicion since they are often not as valued as the GCSE alternative.

I would definitely recommend further maths A level if you can do it. At my college, the classes are smaller (timetable reasons), faster paced (more able students) and taught by the most experienced/best teachers (because FM classes are supposedly more fun to teach).

A lot of top 10 Physics Unis are now asking for A*AA at A level, so you want to aim for at least that.

1. What is particle/astro physics?

Particle/astro physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the smallest particles in the universe, such as atoms and subatomic particles, as well as the interactions between particles and the structure and behavior of the universe.

2. What type of education is required to become a particle/astro physicist in the UK?

In the UK, most particle/astro physicists have a PhD in physics or a related field. This typically involves completing a bachelor's degree in physics or a closely related subject, followed by a master's degree and then a PhD program.

3. What research areas do particle/astro physicists in the UK focus on?

Particle/astro physicists in the UK conduct research in a variety of areas, including particle physics, astrophysics, cosmology, and theoretical physics. Some may also specialize in specific subfields, such as quantum mechanics or dark matter.

4. What type of career opportunities are available for particle/astro physicists in the UK?

Particle/astro physicists in the UK can pursue careers in academia, working as researchers and professors at universities. They can also work in industries such as aerospace, defense, and energy, or for government agencies such as the National Physics Laboratory.

5. What is the current state of particle/astro physics research in the UK?

The UK has a strong and active community of particle/astro physicists, with several universities and research institutions dedicated to this field of study. Recent developments in the UK include the construction of new particle accelerators and the involvement in international collaborations such as the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.