universe lord said:
right guys I am 13 years old,live in uk and I am in year 9, my maths level is 7b and science is 7b so what do i need to get in a gcse's and a level's to be on my way to becoming an astro/particle phycisist? oh and please tell me what subjects to choose in gcse's (i am going to pick triple science).
Triple science, maths (compulsory), ask your school about the further maths GCSE, if they hold it at your school you'll get taught some a level mathematics early (C1 and some of C2, as well as some others which i can't remember), this isn't needed but it helps for a level. Take whatever GCSE you want from there on, but try to stick to academic subjects (avoid BTEC if possible unless perhaps in engineering, avoid ICT also) and get A* for your mathematics and the further maths (looks really good when applying for a levels, though doesn't matter much after that).
For a levels pick up maths, further maths and physics and a subject of your choice (perhaps chemistry?) , if your really keen you can take additional further maths, but it's not required at any university. Further maths itself is also not needed at most places but for oxbridge/imperial etc it is compulsory, if offered and it helps a lot (I only done further maths AS and I'm at a great university reading maths). Now at a levels try to get involved in the mathematics senior challenge (there is one at GCSE also, so may want to look into that), but then again this is NOT needed and will only strengthen your application. You can also take tests such as STEP I, II, III and these are not needed for straight physics programs at top institutes (oxbridge), but once again, it helps.
I wouldn't stress too much right now as you're in year 9, but that's what you should do to get into top institutes.