1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle decay: Relativistic or classical?

1. Nov 3, 2016 #1
    IMG_0819.JPG This question was asked in an competitive exam in India.

The relevant equations are momentum conservation in the classical sense and the 4 momentum conservation.

My attempt: Classical momentum conservation would seem inaccurate since the kinetic energies are high. However, a straightforward application of it yields option (a). I think it is wrong since we end up with more energy than we started with. Initial energy is 3GJ, but final energy is 10 GJ since C has 8GJ of energy.

I wanted to know how to solve it using special relativity. It looks like information about the masses is missing.(I know that I cannot use conservation of masses.) So I am wondering whether it is possible to solve this problem with relativistic corrections and whether the answer still remains 30 degrees.

Thanks,

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's got nothing to do with Relativity. The piece that went off at right angles should have ##1 GJ## not ##2 GJ##.

4. Nov 3, 2016 #3
    How did you know that it is a classical momentum problem apriori?

The energies of the two pieces are 8GJ and 2GJ.

I have updated my original post.

5. Nov 3, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If it was a SR problem, it would have said "relativistic velocity", not "high velocity".

6. Nov 3, 2016 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

1 GJ might sound like a lot, but if you calculate the equivalent amount of mass, you find ##m = \frac{10^9}{(3\times10^8)^2}= 1.1\times 10^{-8}\text{ kg}.## The mass of the missile is many orders of magnitude above that.

7. Nov 3, 2016 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or, if the missile had a mass of ##1 kg## then its velocity would be less than ##8 \times 10^4 m/s##

8. Nov 3, 2016 #7
    Thanks for that clarification.

If it is classical, how has the total energy increased?

9. Nov 3, 2016 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That would be a mistake in the question, as pointed out in post #2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted