1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Particle Disintegration: Equation trouble

1. Jul 14, 2010 #1
    Hi, I'm reading about particle disintegration at the moment and there's a step I don't follow.

I've got the following equation:

[tex]\tan\theta=\frac{v_0\sin\theta_0}{v_0\cos\theta_0+V} [/tex] where [tex] \theta [/tex] is the resultant angle in the Laboratory system and [tex] \theta_0 [/tex] is the resultant angle in the Centre of Mass system.

Also given is [tex]v=V+v_0[/tex] which are respectively the velocity of a resulting particle in the L system, the velocity of the primary particle in the L system, and the velocity of the resulting particle in the C system.

Solving for [tex]\cos\theta_0[/tex] one should obtain

[tex]\cos\theta_0=-\frac{V}{v_0}\sin^2\theta \pm \cos\theta\sqrt{1-\frac{V^2\sin^2\theta}{v_0^2}}[/tex]

but I've gotten [tex]\cos\theta_0=\frac{V}{v_0}(\cos\theta-1)+\cos\theta[/tex]

from the substitution [tex]\sin\theta_0=\sin\theta\left(\frac{V+v_0}{v_0}\right)[/tex] which seems geometrically sound.

Can anyone see where that other equation comes from for [tex]\cos\theta_0[/tex]?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Are you sure the equation you started with applies to this situation? It's valid for non-relativistic cases, but particle decay typically involves relativistic speeds.

4. Jul 15, 2010 #3
    Yes, in the book, it follows on immediately, with no mention of relativistic effects.
    I think it's just some algebraic reworking of the equation that I'm not seeing.

5. Jul 15, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

From the equation

[tex]\tan\theta=\frac{v_0\sin\theta_0}{v_0\cos\theta_0+V}[/tex]

I'm inferring that the angles are measured relative to the direction of V, the velocity of the primary particle in the lab frame. Your second equation from equating the y-components in the two frames is wrong. It should be

[tex]v_0\sin\theta_0=\sqrt{(v_0\cos\theta_0+V)^2+(v_0\sin\theta_0)^2}\sin\theta[/tex]

The equation relating the velocities should be

[tex]\vec{v}=\vec{v}_0+\vec{V}[/tex]

which is a vector equation, so you can't just add the magnitudes of v0 and V to get the magnitude of v.

To derive the other equation, start with the tan θ equation, square it, and rewrite sin2 θ0 in terms of cos θ0. You'll get a quadratic equation in cos θ0.

6. Jul 15, 2010 #5
    Excellent! I got it!

That was some marathon of a reworking - three pages and an hour later...

Thanks vela for your help. :)

7. Jul 15, 2010 #6
    Excellent! I got it!

That was some marathon of a reworking - three pages and an hour later...

Thanks vela for your help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook