Particle in Stable/Unstable Motion, Find Frequency of Oscillation

In summary, the problem discusses a particle moving in a circular path around an upside-down cone. The Lagrangian equation for motion is used to determine if the path is stable, and it is found that it is stable if the right side of the equation is positive when r is decreased and negative when r is increased. To determine the frequency of oscillation, it is suggested to consider the second derivative of r at a specific value and its behavior as r is increased or decreased.
Oijl

Homework Statement

A particle moves around the surface of an upside-down cone, in a horizontal circular path, in equilibrium. The particle is given a small radial kick. Use the Lagrangian equation for motion (found in a previous section of this problem):

m[tex]\ddot{r}[/tex] = (ml[tex]_{z}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex])/(r[tex]^{3}[/tex]cos[tex]^{2}[/tex]([tex]\alpha[/tex])sin[tex]^{2}[/tex]([tex]\alpha[/tex])) - cos([tex]\alpha[/tex])mg

to decide whether the circular path is stable. If so, with what frequency does r oscillate about the equilibrium?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I can put in r[tex]_{o}[/tex] ± [tex]\epsilon[/tex] for r in that equation and show that the right side is positive when epsilon is negative and negative when epsilon is positive, then I will have shown that it is stable.

But I don't know how to do that. Also, when I can show that it is stable, how should I go about knowing the frequency of oscillation?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that at some value of r, the left side is equal to 0. What happens to the right side if you make r bigger? Does the second derivative of r become negative or positive?

1. What is a particle in stable/unstable motion?

A particle in stable/unstable motion refers to the movement of a small object (particle) that can either stay in a steady position or undergo irregular changes in position over time. This type of motion can be seen in various systems such as mechanical, electrical, and atomic systems.

2. How can I determine if a particle is in stable or unstable motion?

The stability of a particle's motion can be determined by observing its position over time. If the particle's position remains constant without any changes, it is considered to be in stable motion. On the other hand, if the particle's position changes erratically, it is considered to be in unstable motion.

3. How do I calculate the frequency of oscillation for a particle in stable/unstable motion?

The frequency of oscillation for a particle in stable/unstable motion can be calculated by dividing the number of oscillations (cycles) by the total time taken. This is represented by the equation: frequency = number of oscillations / total time.

4. Can the frequency of oscillation change for a particle in stable/unstable motion?

Yes, the frequency of oscillation for a particle in stable/unstable motion can change depending on various factors such as external forces, changes in the system, or changes in the particle's properties. These changes can affect the particle's motion and therefore, alter its frequency of oscillation.

5. How is the frequency of oscillation related to the stability of a particle's motion?

The frequency of oscillation and the stability of a particle's motion are inversely related. This means that as the frequency of oscillation increases, the stability of the particle's motion decreases. Similarly, as the frequency of oscillation decreases, the stability of the particle's motion increases.