1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle Motion (Astrophysics)

1. Jan 31, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is new for me, so forgive me my clumsiness. I am working on the following problem:
    A particle p is moving with a velocity v1 = c (speed of light) towards an object q, which is moving in the same direction with the speed v2, where v1>v2. Now, v2 is a function of the distance r between p and q. I need to find the time when p "catches up" with q.

2. Relevant equations
    v2(r)= v0hr, where h - the Hubble constant, v0 - initial velocity, and r - distance between p and q

3. The attempt at a solution
    Particle p will "catch up" with q when the distance between them is 0, so we have:
    r - s =0 and r = s (1)
    v2(r)= v0hr
    Differential equation:
    ds/dt = v0hr

Separating variables:
    ds/r= v0h dt
    Integrating:
    log r = v0ht + c
    r = ev0ht+c
    r = ecev0ht
    ec=R
    r=Rev0ht

Plugging into (1)
    Rev0ht = v1t

I am not sure how to proceed from here or if any of it makes sense.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2017 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF Gregorski!

There are two reference frames. The observer frame, relative to which q is moving at speed v2, and q's rest frame. It is not clear from the question as to the reference frame in which r or time is being measured.

According to Special Relativity, p must have 0 rest mass and must be moving at speed c relative to all inertial reference frames. The observer and q would measure the time for p to reach q differently.

AM

4. Feb 4, 2017 #3
    Andrew,
    Thank you for your input; you're absolutely right there are two frames. I managed to do the last step by applying Lambert W function.
    Best,
    Greg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted