Particle movement in inhomogeneous magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for the case of a general inhomogeneous magnetic field, which is given by $$\dot{\vec{v}}=\frac{e}{2mc} (\vec{v} \times \vec{B} - \vec{B} \times {v})$$. The solution involves using the equations m \frac{d \vec{v}}{dt}=e \vec{v} \times \vec{B} and \vec{v} \times \vec{B} = - \vec{B} \times \vec{v} to show that RHS = \frac{1}{c} \dot{\vec{v}}. The presence of ##
Dishsoap
Homework Statement

Show that for the case of a general inhomogeneous magnetic field, $$\dot{\vec{v}}=\frac{e}{2mc} (\vec{v} \times \vec{B} - \vec{B} \times {v})$$

The attempt at a solution

I think I am oversimplifying things. I used that, for an electron in a magnetic field, [itex]m \frac{d \vec{v}}{dt}=e \vec{v} \times \vec{B}[/itex], and that [itex]\vec{v} \times \vec{B} = - \vec{B} \times \vec{v} [/itex]

Doing this, I find that [itex]RHS = \frac{1}{c} \dot{\vec{v}}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The presence of ##c## in the equation is just due to the choice of units.

May I ask where this problem came from?

TSny said:
The presence of ##c## in the equation is just due to the choice of units.

May I ask where this problem came from?

I figured as such, but units for what? B? v? e?

This problem was not out of a book but was just on a homework sheet, and I was unable to find it elsewhere.

Dishsoap said:
I figured as such, but units for what? B? v? e?
Compare the Gaussian system of units with the SI units here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_units#Maxwell.27s_equations
The units for B, v, and e are all different in the two systems: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_units#Electromagnetic_unit_names

This problem was not out of a book but was just on a homework sheet, and I was unable to find it elsewhere.
OK. It seems odd since, as you say, you can always just rewrite ##\bf{B} \times \bf{v}## as ##-\bf{v} \times \bf{B}## .

1. What is an inhomogeneous magnetic field?

An inhomogeneous magnetic field is a magnetic field that varies in strength and direction at different points in space. This can be caused by the presence of magnetic materials or the configuration of multiple magnets.

2. How does particle movement occur in an inhomogeneous magnetic field?

Particle movement in an inhomogeneous magnetic field is governed by the Lorentz force, which is a combination of electric and magnetic forces. This force causes charged particles to experience a force perpendicular to both their velocity and the magnetic field, resulting in curved motion.

3. What factors affect particle movement in an inhomogeneous magnetic field?

The strength and direction of the magnetic field, as well as the charge and velocity of the particles, are the main factors that affect particle movement in an inhomogeneous magnetic field. Other factors such as the presence of other magnetic or electric fields can also influence particle movement.

4. How is particle movement in an inhomogeneous magnetic field used in scientific research?

Particle movement in an inhomogeneous magnetic field is used in a variety of scientific research fields, including plasma physics, materials science, and medical imaging. It allows scientists to manipulate and control the motion of charged particles, providing insights into the behavior of matter in different environments.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding particle movement in inhomogeneous magnetic fields?

Understanding particle movement in inhomogeneous magnetic fields has many practical applications, such as designing more efficient particle accelerators, creating new materials with specific magnetic properties, and developing medical imaging techniques. It also has implications for space exploration and the study of planetary magnetic fields.