Particle´s acceleration respect two inertial frames

In summary, the problem involves finding the acceleration a'=(ax',ay',az') of a particle moving with constant acceleration a=(ax,ay,az) in the S' system, as measured from the system S. The solution involves using the velocity-addition formula and the inverse Lorentz transformation to obtain equations for the velocity transformation. The acceleration can then be found by differentiating the velocity equations with respect to proper time and using the appropriate Lorentz transformation equation for dt.
Aler93

Homework Statement

System S' moves with constant speed v=(vx,0,0) respect to the system S. On the S' system a particle moves with a constant acceleration a=(ax,ay,az).
What is the acceleration a'=(ax',ay',az') measured from the system S?.

Homework Equations

Lorentz transformation

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I use the velocity-addition formula and find the ecuations of the velocity transformation, I think maybe a derivation respect to proper time of the velocity transformation ux',uy',uz' give the aceleration of the particle, but I am not really sure how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aler93 said:

Homework Statement

System S' moves with constant speed v=(vx,0,0) respect to the system S. On the S' system a particle moves with a constant acceleration a=(ax,ay,az).
What is the acceleration a'=(ax',ay',az') measured from the system S?.
The notation is confusing. You have the unprimed a for the acceleration as measured in the primed frame S, and you have the primed a' for the acceleration as measured in the unprimed frame S.

TSny said:
The notation is confusing. You have the unprimed a for the acceleration as measured in the primed frame S, and you have the primed a' for the acceleration as measured in the unprimed frame S.

I know, but I´m using the same notation that it´s used in the problem. Solving the problem I´m finding the unprimed acceleration as its seen from the system S.

Aler93 said:
I know, but I´m using the same notation that it´s used in the problem. Solving the problem I´m finding the unprimed acceleration as its seen from the system S.

Well, it's confusing to me. But let's see how it goes.

I agree that starting with the velocity transformation formula is a good idea. I'm not sure why you would want to differentiate with respect to proper time. The acceleration of the particle in frame S would be the derivative of the velocity of the particle in frame S with respect to time as measured in frame S. Similarly for frame S'.

TSny said:
Well, it's confusing to me. But let's see how it goes.

I agree that starting with the velocity transformation formula is a good idea. I'm not sure why you would want to differentiate with respect to proper time. The acceleration of the particle in frame S would be the derivative of the velocity of the particle in frame S with respect to time as measured in frame S. Similarly for frame S'.

I talk with the teacher and he made some corrections:
System S' moves with constant speed v=(vx,0,0) respect to the system S. On the S' system a particle moves with a constant acceleration a'=(ax',ay',az').
What is the acceleration a'=(ax,ay,az) measured from the system S?.

In this case I used the inverse lorentz transformation cause its from the S system and obtain something like
Code:
[ tex ]ux=\frac{u_x'+v}{1+frac{u_x' v}{c^2}}[ /tex ]
and
Code:
uy=\frac{uy'}{ \gamma(1+ ux'v/c^2)}

To find the acelleration we derive respect to dt, as you said, I was a bit confused, but it depents of proper time τ

a=du/dt=du/dτ dτ/dt

but how i use this equation with the velocitiy formulas we found before?

Last edited:
Aler93 said:
$$u_x=\frac{u_x'+v}{1+\frac{u_x' v}{c^2}}$$
$$u_y=\frac{u_y'}{ \gamma(1+ u_x'v/c^2)}$$To find the acelleration we derive respect to dt, as you said, I was a bit confused, but it depents of proper time τ

a=du/dt=du/dτ dτ/dt

but how i use this equation with the velocitiy formulas we found before?

When finding ##a_x = \frac{du_x}{dt}##, you can work with differentials. Thus ##a_x## equals the differential ##du_x## divided by the differential ##dt##.

For ##du_x##, use your formula above. For ##dt##, use the appropriate Lorentz transformation equation.

Likes Aler93
TSny said:
When finding ##a_x = \frac{du_x}{dt}##, you can work with differentials. Thus ##a_x## equals the differential ##du_x## divided by the differential ##dt##.

For ##du_x##, use your formula above. For ##dt##, use the appropriate Lorentz transformation equation.
TSny said:

Thanks, I was complicating myself, I finally obtained the three acceleration transformations.

Thanks for your help!

What is particle acceleration?

Particle acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of a particle changes with time. It is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

What are inertial frames?

Inertial frames are reference frames in which Newton's first law of motion holds true. This means that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

How is particle acceleration measured?

Particle acceleration can be measured using a variety of methods, including velocity-time graphs, force sensors, and accelerometers. These tools can measure the change in velocity of a particle over a specific period of time.

How does particle acceleration change in different inertial frames?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the laws of physics, including particle acceleration, are the same in all inertial frames. This means that the observed acceleration of a particle will be the same regardless of the reference frame it is measured in.

What factors can affect particle acceleration in different inertial frames?

The only factor that can affect particle acceleration in different inertial frames is the presence of external forces. In an inertial frame, an object will maintain a constant acceleration unless acted upon by an external force. However, in a non-inertial frame, additional forces, such as fictitious forces, may be present and affect the observed acceleration of a particle.