Particle speed relative to frequency and pressure amplitude.

The maximum value of that is omega times the maximaum displacement, so the maximum speed is just \omega s_{max} .In summary, to find the maximum particle speed of a sound wave with a frequency of 1250 Hz and a pressure amplitude of 15.0 Pa propagating through air at 0 degrees Celsius, you can use the equation v = frequency x lambda = (2 x pi x frequency)(lambda / 2 x pi) = omega / k = sqrt(B/rho) and the fact that at 0 degrees Celsius, v = 331 m/s. To find the maximum particle speed, you must calculate the
Alpha Russ Omega

Homework Statement

A sound wave of frequency 1250 Hz., propagating through air at 0 degrees Celsius, has a pressure amplitude of 15.0 Pa. What is the maximum particle speed (in meters/second)?

Homework Equations

v = frequency x lambda = (2 x pi x frequency)(lambda / 2 x pi) = omega / k = sqrt(B/rho)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that at the temperature of 0 degrees Celsius v = 331 m/s

I'm not sure how to tie these equations together and the maximum particle speed.

Anyone have any suggestions where to start on this one?
Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alpha Russ Omega said:

Homework Statement

A sound wave of frequency 1250 Hz., propagating through air at 0 degrees Celsius, has a pressure amplitude of 15.0 Pa. What is the maximum particle speed (in meters/second)?

Homework Equations

v = frequency x lambda = (2 x pi x frequency)(lambda / 2 x pi) = omega / k = sqrt(B/rho)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that at the temperature of 0 degrees Celsius v = 331 m/s

I'm not sure how to tie these equations together and the maximum particle speed.

Anyone have any suggestions where to start on this one?
Any help will be appreciated.

The displacement wave has an equation of the form
[itex] s(x,t) = s_{max} cos (\omega t + \phi) [/itex]

To find the maximum speed of the particle, you must calculate the transverse velocity of the particles, [itex] \frac{\partial s}{\partial t} [/itex] and find the maximum possible value it may have.

Next, you will need an equation relating the maximum displacement [itex] s_{max} [/itex] to the pressure amplitude (you must have covered that in class).

Aha! I was trying to use the wrong equations. It's figured out now. Thank you! :-)

How did it end up being?

Hey, I also have to complete that problem. How did u end up finding the solution? Thanks!

nrqed said:
The displacement wave has an equation of the form
[itex] s(x,t) = s_{max} cos (\omega t + \phi) [/itex]

To find the maximum speed of the particle, you must calculate the transverse velocity of the particles, [itex] \frac{\partial s}{\partial t} [/itex] and find the maximum possible value it may have.

Hmm, can you please explain how that equation for transverse particle speed also applies to longitudinal waves like sound?

mike115 said:
Hmm, can you please explain how that equation for transverse particle speed also applies to longitudinal waves like sound?

I should have said "longitudinal velocity" instead of transverse speed.
The formula I gave is still correct. Th elongitudinal velocity is simply the derivative of the longitudinal motion with respect to time so [tex] \frac{\partial s(x,t)}{\partial t}[/tex]

1. What is the relationship between particle speed and frequency?

The higher the frequency of a sound wave, the faster the particles will vibrate or move back and forth. This means that the higher the frequency, the higher the particle speed.

2. How does pressure amplitude affect particle speed?

Pressure amplitude is directly related to the magnitude of sound waves. As the pressure amplitude increases, the particles will move with greater speed and force, resulting in a louder sound.

3. Does particle speed change with different types of waves?

Yes, particle speed can vary depending on the type of wave. For example, in transverse waves, particles move perpendicular to the direction of the wave, while in longitudinal waves, particles move parallel to the direction of the wave.

4. What is the unit of measurement for particle speed?

Particle speed is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or centimeters per second (cm/s).

5. How does particle speed relate to the speed of sound?

Particle speed is directly related to the speed of sound, as it is the speed at which particles move to transmit sound waves. The speed of sound is affected by various factors such as temperature, humidity, and the medium through which the sound is traveling.