1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle's path in magnetic field

1. Mar 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A charge enters a magnetic field. Draw the path the charge will follow and find the radius and period of the particle's path.

v=10m/s (drawn as a straight line pointing right)
    q=3c
    B=4T (points outward)

2. Relevant equations

I'm not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution

The charge is drawn as positive. Wouldn't I need the mass for an equation? I don't know what the mass would be. Would it just be the mass of a proton?

Also, anyone know what equation I would use?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2014 #2
    I think the equation for radius is mv/(qB) but I still don't know if I should use 1.67*10^(-27) kg as the mass. Q = 3C so it seems like it would be a mistake to make the mass equal to that of a proton's mass when Q does not equal 1.6*10^(19) C...

Then the equation for the period is qB/m..?

4. Mar 4, 2014 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

The Relevant Equation would be the Lorentz Force equation. Can you show us what that is?

And I think you are right -- the Lorentz force just gives the force -- you need the mass to know what the radius of the resulting circular motion is. Have you written out the full question?

5. Mar 4, 2014 #4
    Ivan, your equation seems correct. As for the mass can you think of a reason why an object the size of a house could also have the charge given in the question? The mass might be able to be obtained from the equation you used to derive r=mv/qb. What equation was this?

6. Mar 4, 2014 #5
    The Lorentz Force equation is F = q(E + v x B) but I don't know how to use it in this occasion.. I have the question written out exactly as our professor stated it but I'm assuming the mass should be stated because I don't know how to solve it otherwise.

7. Mar 4, 2014 #6
    So mass is independent of charge...? but I thought a single proton would always have charge +e. So in this case, the charge is 3C.. is it possible that it still has the same mass as a regular proton?

The equation used to derive r=mv/qb is F=qvB=m(v^2/R).

I can find out what the force is with Lorentz Force equation as berkeman said, I know what q, v, and B are, but that still leaves m and R. It seems to me as if both quantities are dependent of each other and I must know one to get the other. Is there a way around this?

Thank you both!

8. Mar 5, 2014 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your F = q(E + v x B) is spot on. There is only a B field, so F = q (v x B) . Right hand thumb to the right, index finger out of the paper pointing to your nose: middle finger points in the direction of F.

F is perpendicular to v, so no change in magnitude of v, only in direction. And this remains so: , |v| constant, |F| constant and ##\vec F \perp \vec v##. The sure sign of a path that is characterized by a radius (what a giveaway in the original problem tekst!), for which we know (right?) F = mv2/R. So there is your ## R={mv\over QB}##. As long as you have no clue about m, no value for R.

To collect 3 Coulomb of charge you need at least 6 x 1018 protons and a lot of energy to squeeze them together. That many protons still is only 10 nanograms, though. But to avoid instant discharge by a lightning flash you need a substantial charge carrier. A 1 meter conducting sphere has a capacitance of 1 ##\mu##F, with 3 C the surface potential is 3 x 109 Volt. 4 Tesla of nicely homogenetic magnetic field isn't all that trivial either and barely possible above the, say, 1 m2 scale. (Others will correct me if I am wrong).

I think this is just a physics thought exercise and somewhat not-good: good students get distracted by the missing of m and average students put m=1 kg or something arbitrary.

I was triggered by this thread because as a 17 year old I had an oral grammar school exam where they put a Teltron tube in front of me that I had never seen before. The thing measures e/m as a ratio, using your formula. But googling 'e over m experiment' shows that JJ Thomson stole the cake in 1897.

9. Mar 5, 2014 #8
    Eureka! Two equations, two unknowns!

10. Mar 5, 2014 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Must say I don't understand kine's eureka. Do you, Ivan ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted