1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particular Solutions of Differential Equations

1. Nov 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}[/itex] = [itex]y\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Let [itex] v = \frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] and [itex]v\frac{dv}{dy} = \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The question can be rewritten as:

[itex]v\frac{dv}{dy} = yv[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{dv}{dy} = y[/itex]. (v =/=0 )

This is very easy to solve since it's basically a normal integral. I get v and substitute in [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] to get an implicit expression for y:

[itex]C+\frac{x}{2}= D Tan^{-1}(Dy)[/itex]

However, the problem is when I divided v on both sides, and I noted that v can't be 0 because division by 0 is not allowed.

Thus, v = 0 is a particular solution to the DE, so y equals a constant is not a solution to this DE?

I really hope someone can give me a better understanding of particular solutions, and what I should do with them in a problem such as this.

Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that says just the opposite! v= 0 is a solution to the equation after you had "reduced" it so y equal to a constant is a solution to the DE.

If y is a constant, both first and second derivatives are 0 so your equation just becomes 0= y(0).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook