Is Partition Theory Concerned with Multiples of a Number?

In summary, the conversation discusses partition theory and its relation to addition and multiplication. It is mentioned that partition theory does not account for order, and there are two known formulas for calculating the number of partitions for a given number. The conversation also mentions the work of famous mathematicians such as Euler and Ramanujan on the topic. Finally, there is a question about whether partition theory also considers the multiples of a number, but the answer is not provided.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
does p.t concern also with the multiples of a number, for example: the multiples of 4 are 2*2 and 4*1 meaning two?

p.s
i know that partition theory is concerned in the sums of a number (the partition of 4 is 5).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by loop quantum gravity
does p.t concern also with the multiples of a number, for example: the multiples of 4 are 2*2 and 4*1 meaning two?

p.s
i know that partition theory is concerned in the sums of a number (the partition of 4 is 5).

Loop, could you simply just refresh our memories about ordinary ADDITION partition theory?

Like, how do you figure out how many ways there are to write the number seven as a sum?

You are jumping ahead too fast. I cannot even remember the addition part.

I think that you would call the multiplication analog of that a theory of "factorization"
like how many ways can you factorize the number 24?
and I think that the main results having to do with factorization are theorems about prime numbers and prime factorization.
It would be a separate thing from the additive business you call "partitioning".

Partitioning is interesting in its own right. Even if you allow zero as a number and even if you count 2+3 and 3+2 as two separate partitions of 5. That is, you take account of the the order. I assume you know the "binomial coefficient" written as two numbers N and k in parens
and pronounced "N choose k"

/N\
\k/

and calculated N!/(k!(N-k)!)

You say "the partition of 4 is 5". How do you calculate that?
I don't happen to know a formula. Am not altogether sure what is meant either

4, 1+3, 2+2, 1+1+2, 1+1+1+1

well that is 5 all right

1 partition into one piece
2 partition into 2 pieces
1 partition into 3 pieces
1 partition into 4 pieces
adds up to 5 in all

you happen to know a formula?

partition theory doesn't account for order and you are right about the partition of four.
there are two formulas (or at least that's what i understand from this webpage: http://www.google.co.il/search?q=cache:yyMgmLqywAgJ:www.iwu.edu/~mdancs/teaching/m389/lecture_notes/Lecture_03_24.pdf+formula+in+partition+theory&hl=iw&ie=UTF-8 ):
1. an explicit formula given by hardy and ramanujan (which is given in the webpage above).
2. the second one is: p(n){the number of partitions}=p(n-1)+p(n-2)-p(n-5)-p(n-7)+p(n-12)+p(n-15)-p(n-22)-p(n-26)+...

that's all for now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by loop quantum gravity
partition theory doesn't account for order and you are right about the partition of four.
there are two formulas (or at least that's what i understand from this webpage: http://www.google.co.il/search?q=cache:yyMgmLqywAgJ:www.iwu.edu/~mdancs/teaching/m389/lecture_notes/Lecture_03_24.pdf+formula+in+partition+theory&hl=iw&ie=UTF-8 ):
1. an explicit formula given by hardy and ramanujan (which is given in the webpage above).
2. the second one is: p(n){the number of partitions}=p(n-1)+p(n-2)-p(n-5)-p(n-7)+p(n-12)+p(n-15)-p(n-22)-p(n-26)+...

that's all for now...

Thanks, it is an interesting topic
I went to the webpage you suggested----lecture notes
by Michael Dancs for a number theory course
http://www.iwu.edu/~mdancs/teaching/m389/
and also tried a google search myself [formula partition function]
coming up with Eric Weisstein's MathWorld

Great people like Euler and Ramanujan have worked on the
partition function---most facts about it seem hard. But one source mentioned an easy fact. Did you see this?

"The number of partitions of N into exactly m parts is the same
as the number of partitions of N into parts with maximum size m."

There are 2 partitions of 5 into 2 parts, namely (4+1, 3+2)
and also 2 partitions of 5 with maximum=2, namely (2+2+1, 2+1+1+1)

There are 4 partitions of 7 into 3 parts, namely (5+1+1, 4+2+1, 4+1+1+1, 3+3+1)
and also 4 partitions of 7 with max=3, namely (3+3+1, 3+2+2, 3+2+1+1, 3+1+1+1+1)

I calculated the first 10 partition numbers to see if I could detect a pattern, but I could not see one:

P1 = 1
P2 = 2
P3 = 3
P4 = 5
P5 = 7
P6 = 11
P7 = 15
P8 = 22
P9 = 30
P10 = 42

Last edited by a moderator:
there's a "semi-pattern" from p(2) to p(6) the partitions are prime numbers.

so marcus, you didnt answer my original question:"does p.t concern also with the multiples of a number"? do you know?

1. What is Partition theory?

Partition theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of integer partitions and their properties. It involves breaking down a number into a sum of smaller numbers, known as partitions, and exploring the patterns and relationships between these partitions.

2. What is the importance of Partition theory in mathematics?

Partition theory has various applications in different areas of mathematics, including number theory, combinatorics, and algebra. It helps in solving problems related to counting, generating functions, and algebraic identities. It also has connections to other branches of mathematics, such as representation theory and modular forms.

3. What are the different types of partitions?

There are two main types of partitions: unordered partitions and ordered partitions. Unordered partitions are those in which the order of the numbers in the partition does not matter, while ordered partitions are those in which the order of the numbers does matter. Examples of unordered partitions include 4 = 3 + 1, 4 = 2 + 2, and 4 = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1. Examples of ordered partitions include 4 = 1 + 3, 4 = 2 + 2, and 4 = 4.

4. What is the difference between integer partitions and partitions of a set?

Integer partitions involve breaking down a number into smaller numbers, whereas partitions of a set involve breaking down a set into smaller subsets. In integer partitions, the order of the numbers does not matter, while in partitions of a set, the order of the subsets does matter. Additionally, in integer partitions, the numbers in the partition must be positive integers, while in partitions of a set, the subsets can be any element of the original set.

5. How is Partition theory used in real-world applications?

Partition theory has various applications in the real world, including in computer science, physics, and chemistry. In computer science, it is used in the analysis of algorithms and data structures. In physics, it is used in the study of atomic and molecular energies and in statistical mechanics. In chemistry, it is used in the study of chemical reactions and molecular structures.