What are the Paschen and Lyman series in the electromagnetic spectrum?

• Thread starter Jeff97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the Lyman series is a series of lines in the ultra-violet, indicating a higher frequency and placement on the right side of the diagram. The Paschen series, on the other hand, is infrared with a lower frequency and placement on the left side of the diagram. IR is lower frequency than visible, while UV is higher than visible. Additionally, x-rays are far to the right and gamma-rays are even further off the chart.
Jeff97
Homework Statement
You can see the question below it's not homework I just don't know the answer and was hoping for one
Relevant Equations
N/A
IMG_3339.JPG

I know that the Lyman series is a series of lines in the ultra-violet. So that means a higher frequency so it will fall on the right of the diagram.

And Paschen is infrared. So a lower frequency so on the left side of the diagram?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds right. I'm sure you could find the answer on line to check for yourself!

Likes Jeff97
PeroK said:
Sounds right. I'm sure you could find the answer on line to check for yourself!
So to answer the question I'd just mark a line on either side and label them respectively then just explain why there found there wow easy!

Likes PeroK
Yes IR is lower frequency than to-us visible and UV is higher than visible and x-rays are far to the right and gamma-rays are (to the right) way off the chart.

What are the Paschen and Lyman series in the electromagnetic spectrum?

The Paschen and Lyman series are two specific series of spectral lines in the electromagnetic spectrum that are produced by the transitions of electrons within atoms. They are named after the scientists who first studied and described them.

What is the difference between the Paschen and Lyman series?

The main difference between the Paschen and Lyman series is the energy level of the electron transitions that produce the spectral lines. The Paschen series is produced by transitions from higher energy levels to the third energy level, while the Lyman series is produced by transitions from higher energy levels to the first energy level.

What is the significance of the Paschen and Lyman series?

The Paschen and Lyman series are important in the study of atomic structure and the behavior of electrons within atoms. They provide evidence for the quantization of energy levels in atoms and have been used to develop models of atomic structure.

How are the Paschen and Lyman series related to the Balmer series?

The Balmer series is another series of spectral lines in the electromagnetic spectrum that is produced by transitions from higher energy levels to the second energy level. The Paschen and Lyman series are both extensions of the Balmer series, with the Paschen series occurring at longer wavelengths and the Lyman series occurring at shorter wavelengths.

What is the formula for calculating the wavelengths of the Paschen and Lyman series?

The formula for calculating the wavelengths of the Paschen and Lyman series is given by the Rydberg formula: 1/λ = R(1/n2 - 1/m2), where λ is the wavelength, R is the Rydberg constant, and n and m are the energy levels involved in the transition. For the Paschen series, n=3 and m=4, 5, 6... and for the Lyman series, n=1 and m=2, 3, 4...