Passing limits through integrals

In summary, the author is looking for a theorem that will allow him to state that the function f(z) is continuously differentiable along the real line segment [0,1]. The theorem that the author is looking for is the Lebesgue Dominated Convergence Thm.
rsq_a
This seems to be an elementary question, but I rarely have to deal with rigor these days, so excuse me if there's a simple answer.

I'm looking for a theorem that will allow me to state,

[tex]
F(z) = \int_0^b \frac{f(\tau)}{\tau - z} d\tau \sim \int_0^b \frac{f(\tau)}{\tau} d\tau
[/tex]

as [itex]z \to 0[/itex] and [itex]f(\tau): \mathbb{C} \to \mathbb{C}[/itex], but it's real along the path of integration.

I believe [itex]f(\tau)[/tex] satisfies these properties:
  • [itex]f(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]f(b) = 0[/itex]
  • [itex]f(\tau)[/itex] is Holder continuous along the path of integration

Note that F(z) is well-defined and Holder continuous along the line because of the values of f at the endpoints.

An example would be,

[tex]
\int_0^1 \frac{\sqrt{\tau}}{\tau - z} d\tau
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
What is it that you are looking for. Do you want a theorem that will tell you that the integral you wrote down is a primitive of f(z), or do you want a theorem that will tell you that you can replace t - z by t if z goes to zero.
Because the latter simply follows from continuity of F(z) at z = 0.

Huh. I guess it's that simple. Sorry, tripped over myself there.

Would it make you feel less stupid to know that I usually look such things up, like when I really need to know the conditions of passing limits through integrals? Otherwise I usually write something like: "I don't know the exact theorem, but f is continuously differentiable which is - although overkill - definitely a sufficient condition." :smile:

Your example doesn't have f(b)=0...whuuuu?
How is f(x) Holder continuous along the real line segment [0,1]?
The derivative of the square root function is unbounded as x-> 0.

A basic convergence thm I would consider is the Lebesgue Dominated Convergence Thm.

Tough going to just deem something continuous, quote a thm and call it a day.
You have to have gone to a high-tuition college to get away with that and still you
may be wrong.

1. What is meant by "passing limits through integrals"?

"Passing limits through integrals" is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals by changing the limits of integration to simplify the integral before solving it.

2. Why is it useful to pass limits through integrals?

Passing limits through integrals can help simplify complex integrals and make them easier to solve. It can also help to find the value of an integral that may be difficult to evaluate using traditional methods.

3. What are the steps for passing limits through integrals?

The steps for passing limits through integrals are:
1. Rewrite the integral with new limits of integration.
2. Substitute the new variable for the original variable.
3. Solve for the new integral.
4. Substitute the original variable back in to get the final answer.

4. Are there any restrictions when using the technique of passing limits through integrals?

Yes, there are some restrictions when using this technique. The function being integrated must be continuous on the entire interval of integration and the new limits must also be continuous. Additionally, the substitution variable must be a function of the original variable.

5. Can passing limits through integrals be used for definite and indefinite integrals?

Yes, this technique can be used for both definite and indefinite integrals. For definite integrals, the new limits must be substituted at the end to find the final answer. For indefinite integrals, the constant of integration must also be added to the final answer.