Passivation vs Zinc Clear Coating of Stainless Steel

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
math111
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Is Passivation to s/s = to Zinc Clear Coating of s/s?

I know passivation is adding a layer of chorosion inhibtor the the surface so can this layer be clear zinc or are these different means of coating s/s?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Stainless steel is stainless because it has a layer of oxygen molecules at the surface. These form naturally during maching processes. Passivation (typically in nitric acid) makes the oxygen layer thicker and, therefore, more resilient.

Zinc works differently. I have never heard of zinc plating on stainless, but on regular steel it forms a sacrificial anode. It doesn't even need to be plated for this to work, a lump of zinc near a steel propellor on a boat for instance will corrode in preference to the propellor.

I am sure someone will be able to provide a more technical explanation than mine. In the meantime here are some wikilinks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passivation"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_anode"
 
Last edited by a moderator: