Path following control robot kinematics and dynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the best controller to use for controlling the position of a mobile robot on a known path. The speaker mentions using a P controller for kinematics and a PD controller for dynamics, but is unsure if this type of control has a specific name. The importance of selecting the controller output and feedback is also emphasized.
theBlue
Hello,

I have a general question regarding what is the best controller (PI, PD, etc.) to control the position of a mobile robot in order to follow a known path.

The mobile robot at hand is a mechanism (a 4 bar linkage with its two base gliding on two parallel but not straight rails) and I want the end effector to follow the center-line between the two rails.

I have a path following controller working perfectly with the kinematics using just a P controller.

The problem occurs when I introduce the Dynamics. The Dynamics controller I am using is a PD.

I am controlling the Dynamics based on the kinematics path following control.

I do not know if this kind of control has a name ?

Thank you for your answer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most control loops work with just P or PI. PID is seldom needed. PD sounds like a mistake to me. I can't believe that PD is appropriate.

Most critical is not the controller itself. Most critical is selecting where the controller output goes, and what the feedback is.

1. How does a path following control robot work?

A path following control robot uses a combination of sensors, actuators, and algorithms to navigate along a predetermined path. The sensors detect the robot's position and orientation, while the actuators control its movements to stay on the path. The algorithms process the sensor data and generate commands for the actuators to follow the desired trajectory.

2. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics in robot control?

Kinematics refers to the study of the motion of a robot without considering the forces and torques that cause the motion. It deals with the position, velocity, and acceleration of the robot. Dynamics, on the other hand, takes into account the forces and torques that affect the robot's motion. It is concerned with the robot's acceleration, momentum, and energy.

3. How are kinematics and dynamics used in path following control for robots?

In path following control, kinematics is used to determine the robot's desired position and orientation along the path. This information is then used in the dynamics equations to generate control commands that will move the robot along the desired trajectory. Kinematics and dynamics work together to ensure the robot follows the path accurately and efficiently.

4. What are the challenges in implementing path following control for robots?

One of the main challenges in implementing path following control for robots is dealing with uncertainties in the environment and the robot itself. This can include variations in the terrain, unexpected obstacles, and errors in sensor readings. Additionally, designing an effective control algorithm that can handle these uncertainties and ensure stable and accurate path following can also be a challenge.

5. What are some real-world applications of path following control for robots?

Path following control for robots has a wide range of applications, including autonomous vehicles, industrial robots, and mobile robots used in agriculture, warehouse logistics, and search and rescue operations. It can also be applied in medical robotics for precise and controlled movements during surgeries. Other potential applications include underwater and aerial robots for exploration and surveillance missions.